Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-29-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Gatlinburg Condos/Hotels Advice Needed

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I need travel advice. I usually camp in the park, but I am taking my wife and kids to Gatlinburg for 4 days over spring break. This means at least one day fishing on my own!!! But, at the other times the family will need to be entertained by the glories of Gatlinburg and Pidgeon Forge.

We're looking for someplace with an indoor or heated pool that the kids can play in if its cold. A condo or cabin would be preferable so that we could have a kitchen and save food costs. Finally, non-smoking would be a big plus.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert
Old 01-29-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Gatlinburg Condos/Hotels Advice Needed

Try these sites they may help. Good luck.

http://www.gatlinburg-tennessee.com/

http://www.gatlinburgcabinsonline.com/

http://www.gatlinburg.com/

Old 01-29-2007, 09:41 PM

Park Place Condos. Ski Mountain Rd, cross the river and it'll be on your left. Borders the park and you'll have the Little Pigeon right in front of you. You can walk to the restaurants. No heated pool. Unfortunately for us both, I don't know the new owners. The fellow that sold it gave me great deals and let me extend to my guests. I'm still cussin' him for selling!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the replies. Any other suggestions are welcome, because we are probably going to book something today or tomorrow, and we want to explore all options.

Of course, my wife says to me last night. "I found this great place: the LeConte Lodge." Now, ordinarily I'd be all for that suggestion. But, the smart alec in me had to point out some deficiencies in that plan. 1. While I hear the Lodge is a great place, I don't think they've got an indoor pool at the top of the mountain; 2. It's something like a six mile hike in, and our six year old can't walk six yards without complaining about how tired he is; 3. You've got to get reservations WAAAY in advance.

Of course, she stomps off in a huff. Nevertheless, I have the greatest wife in the world. The mere fact that she will give me a day to myself and watch the kids in the middle of a family vacation says volumes.

Ahh! Late March. I can see the hatches now! Rolling streams! Rising Trout! Perfect Casts! No hang ups in trees! No missed strikes!

We can all dream.

Robert
Old 01-30-2007, 12:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

zoder's best western has a heated pool indoors. they also have suites to let you get away from the kids for a while. next door is the trout house, which serves up yummy trout fixed about a million ways.
sam
Old 01-31-2007, 12:47 AM

We just got back from the Park Place Condos. The one that we stayed in was super nice. It was a short walk to anything but off the strip enough to not hear the traffic and sorts. Besides I caught a few fish infront of the bridge standing on the riprap before I left.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:29 PM

if you'd be willing to sit through a high pressure sales presentation, you could probably stay in one of the many timeshare resorts for free.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:17 PM

Townsend has some great hotels and a really good price. Your just a short drive from the "burg". Talley Ho and Highland Inn are very nice. In Gatlinburg the Bearskin Lodge, River Terrace, and Best Western Twin River ?%$!@*& I think. All are along the river and fishing is just a few steps away.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:39 PM

It's been quite awhile since I've stayed there (3 years or so), but the Oak Square Condominiums on River Road near Bennett's BBQ used to be a great deal. They were inexpensive, had an indoor heated pool, and since it's on River Road, you had quick and less-trafficy access to the park for fishing. You might want to check them out. Take care,

hawgdaddy
Old 02-01-2007, 01:05 PM

Thank you to everyone for the input. My wife booked a place that she liked from the internet. We'll see how it goes :-/ In any event, I get to fish and I will post a report. Only 49 days to go .... not that I'm counting.

Robert