Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-30-2007, 10:42 PM

Default trout stamps?

i was talking with a wild life officer about the clinch . he was telling me about license check. he told me about the number of fly fisherman that did not have a trout stamp. when asked the were fishing for what ever type of fish for instance carp. if you pratice catch and release, than you are not required to have a trout stamp. you could be fishing for carp catching trout and practing c&r and be legal?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Re: trout stamps?

yep. I buy a trout stamp for the tailwaters, but this past year I had forgotten to buy one and stopped by somewhere i assumed would sell them. they didn't, but anyway, I was told that I was actually just attempting to catch a bluegill, no trout stamp required and I could get in no trouble. Now I don't advocate that anyone fish without a trout stamp. lets be fair and keep it legal. but from what I understand, I believe you are correct. It's only $18 a year though, and I'm sure that money goes to help stock the fish that you catch. that's worth it to me. license prices are getting a little out of hand though, especially for out of state. a one day lic and stamp in PA was around $25 if I remember correctly. ouch.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:41 AM

BillSpey,
So I am due a refund because I didn't kill a deer this year while I was in the woods carrying a rifle?

As long as I miss the doves while hunting, no license required?

Why even buy a fishing license if I practice catch and release not only on rivers but lakes as well.

Maybe drug test are needed for some officers because this makes no sense, but then again TWRA.

Flat Fly'n
Old 01-31-2007, 08:44 AM

I've been told the same thing, i do some classes for TWRA, the officer's i've talked to said they'd write my butt up if i didn't have one though.

Grumpy
Old 01-31-2007, 10:49 AM

Dang I got hit 4 times this year. TN, KY, GA, NC. :-/
Old 01-31-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
i was talking with a wild life officer about the clinch . he was telling me about license check. he told me about the number of fly fisherman that did not have a trout stamp. when asked the were fishing for what ever type of fish for instance carp. if you pratice catch and release, than you are not required to have a trout stamp. *you could be fishing for carp catching trout and practing c&r and be legal?
I talked to the TWRA regional office. They said if you was fishing in trout waters (i.e. Clinch Tailwater) you have to have a trout stamp. He also said yearly there are numerous violations written below the dam.

They also said if some officer is telling you he cannot catch anybody or anything that sounds like it is not correct to report that officer to Brian Ripley 1-800-332-0900

Old 01-31-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I've been told the same thing, i do some classes for TWRA, *the officer's i've talked to said they'd write my butt up if i didn't have one though.

Grumpy
Grumpy

I did not ask about fisheries with a large population of other fish. However the law director said it was like being in the deer woods during deer season with deer hunting equipment, you better have the appropriate licenses.

My experience is some officers are not fully aware of the law. One tried to write me a ticket when I was young for not having a trout stamp. I was not of age to even have a fishing license and had done talked to the regional manager prior to this occurring. Long story but he was red faced when it was all said and done.

I have had experiences in the deer woods where an officer was not fully aware of the law. Most try to use common sense
Old 01-31-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Tenn vs Pa out of state fees

Quote:
yep. *I buy a trout stamp for the tailwaters, but this past year I had forgotten to buy one and stopped by somewhere i assumed would sell them. *they didn't, but anyway, I was told that I was actually just attempting to catch a bluegill, no trout stamp required and I could get in no trouble. *Now I don't advocate that anyone fish without a trout stamp. *lets be fair and keep it legal. *but from what I understand, I believe you are correct. *It's only $18 a year though, and I'm sure that money goes to help stock the fish that you catch. *that's worth it to me. *license prices are getting a little out of hand though, especially for out of state. *a one day lic and stamp in PA was around $25 if I remember correctly. *ouch. *
You made me curious so I looked it up and compared it to Tn as Igo to Pa some not as often as I wish but when I do visit I get the 3 day as I stay for about a week at a time

3 day tourist $25 + agent fee $1= $26
trout stamp $8 + agent fee $1 = $9
total = $35
I day tourist for everything is $25 + the agent fee $1= $26
Annual tourist is $52 (including agent fee) and a trout stamp is the same as above for a total of $61

Tn has
3 day nonresident no trout $16.50
3 day nonresident all fish $33.50
10 day nonresident no trout $25.50
10 day nonresident all fish $50.50
Annual nonresident no trout $41
Annual nonresident all fish $81
Old 01-31-2007, 01:17 PM

I always buy a trout stamp, but that is because I usually keep 5 - 10 fish per year.

Here is a new one I was unaware of. I know that if you are fishing out of a boat you are required to wear a life vest. However, I had a friend get ticketed for wade fishing below a dam. When he questioned the TWRA officer, he said that he was within the 100 yard buffer zone. The reason this baffles me is that below the powerhouse on Hiwassee, I have seen dozens of people fishing. Does this rule apply there as well, or is it only associated with actual dams? In the parking lot at the powerhouse there is a sign saying that life vests are required, but I cannot remember if it specifies if this only applies to boaters or waders.

Has anybody else had any experience with this?

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 01-31-2007, 07:08 PM

i had never thought of this in all my fishing days i have been trout fishin for 40 yrs have always bought a stamp .i buy fishing lisence in 3 states and trout stamps in 2. all states have increased their fees acording what twra charge their residence for non red. licence. i know some of the dams have sign dictating pfds but don't if all do.