Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-31-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Hiawassee trip

Hey all

I was thinking of going down to the Hiawassee today and fishing after they turn the water off at 1. I had a few questions, as my experience down there is limited. Is there good wade access up below the powerhouse where I can start fishing soon after they turn the gens off? Also, the word is that bwo's are coming off in good numbers in the afternoon, can anyone substatiate this? Well take care.

Hydro
Old 01-31-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Hiawassee trip

well i guess i coule have read Plateau Anglers report from a few days ago huh, lol.

ill be sure and read recent posts before I send from now on.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:44 PM

Hey man,

Little late here and I can't go long because I'm heading out to Charlotte here in a few minutes.

Anyway, Lot's of water right below the Powerhouse that will be wadable within 10 -20 minutes after the turbines are shut off. Within a an hour or so, most of the river from the PH down to Big Bend will be wadable.

We've had a lot of bugs active lately. BWO's (18-22), Black Winter Stones (16-1, and lot's of midges. If those don't seem to work for you, hit them with a boogey and a soft ackle dropper off the back.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:19 AM

Thanks a bunch for the reply RockyRaccoon!

Well I went down to the Hiawassee yesterday, and let's just say it was an adventure. *I headed from Knoxville to the Apalachia dam at around 11:30, and for ya'll who are familiar with the Hiawassee, as I obviously was not enough, you know the tailwater section of the Hiawassee that contains trout is below the powerhouse. *I realized my mistake as soon as I saw the water, or lack thereof, below the dam. *Oh ok, well no problem right, I travel with a gazeteer so Ill just drive to the power house down one of these forest service roads and cross the river at the powerhouse and head back towards Knoxville after fishing for a couple of hours, right? (it is getting close to 2 and the water comes on a 4) *Well I chose the wrong side of the river and the wrong 15 mile forest service road to travel down. *The gazetteer did not portray clearly enough that there was no crossing at the powerhouse. *Or maybe I didn't see clearly enough. *Either way

It turned out to be the perfect 1.25 hours worth of fishing I've done in a while. *I parked at the TVA fence by the powerhouse and my dog and I walked down the creek to the water. *I fished that upmost run and caught about 5, lost 2 or 3, and sacrificed two rubber-legged copper johns to the spirit of the Hiawassee. *My 11 month old bull terrier Mia had free reign of that bank and nobody's way to get into. *The drive out was a long yet peaceful trek back through the mountains and onto Hwy 30.

You learn something new everyday. *Today I learned that from Knoxville I need to head towards Reliance to get to anywhere I want to fish on the Hiawassee.

Hydropsyche
Old 02-02-2007, 03:31 PM

Sorry you took the long way around. Good things can only when going towards Reliance. It is a nice place to hang out.

The Hiwassee is a beautiful place to fish. I am glad you got to enjoy her waters. I have spent many a wonderful day and night down there and hope to do so again this year. There is just something magical about that place. At least for me anyway.

The next time you head up towards the powerhouse make sure you have your camera handy. Because as you top the mountain and catch a view of big bend and the stair steps you are going to want to snap a few. It is truely breath taking.

Petey 8-)
Old 02-05-2007, 11:27 AM

THE HIWASSEE IS INDEED A WODERFUL RIVER. I WILL BE GOING BACK DOWN ON MARCH 23 - 24 - 25. NICE RENTAL CABIN JUST PAST THE OUTFITTERS CAMPGROUND ON ELLIS CREEK...
HAVE ONLY FISHED AROUND THE POWER HOUSE AND FIRST ISLAND, BUT JUST PURCHASED A 15' RIVERHAWK BOAT AND 4 HP OUTBOARD. ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS ON FLOATING AND FISHING THE 5 MILE TRIP DOWN TO ELLIS CREEK?
THANKING YOU FOR YOUR INPUT.
OLD BEAU
Old 02-09-2007, 10:11 PM

Hydropsyche!

I used to fish the HI all the time. I live in K-town also. The fastest and shortest route I find to the Hi for me is to go Highway 411 to Madisonville, turn left on 68 towards Tellico Plains then turn right on to TN 39/315 towards Etowah, it will split after 5 mile or so and it will come out in Reliance at the railroad trestle. It is exactly 78 miles one way from north Knoxville versus 90 miles going the interstate.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:54 PM

Dang Hans, that way might be shorter mileage wise but theres no way it can be faster time wise. I'm in South Knoxville near Seymour and I make that drive a lot. I've found no difference in time between taking 411 south out of Seymour all the way to Etowah or leaving out through downtown and taking 75 south to the first Athens exit, swinging east for five miles or so and then picking up hwy 30 to Etowah. Seems like adding Tellico Plains as a waypoint would add another 20 minutes or so to the trip.

Shoot, who knows....maybe I should try it your way once.....but I don't see how it could be quicker.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:24 AM

I thought the max speed on 411 was 55 mph. It would seem that running 70-75 mph down the interstate would make the drive a lot shorter time wise even if the mileage might be really close.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:28 AM

You can't do 70 on 411? Oops....
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com