Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-10-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Hiawassee trip

Alright Rocky and everyone else. You turn on 315 before you reach Etowah. I.e you never hit Etowah, rather you go by Starr mountain. I get down there about 10 minutes earlier than the Interstate and it saves 12 miles. The reason? Anyone messing with west Knoxville knows it takes 20 minutes to go from North Knoxville to Turkey Creek. It's just a nightmare. The other problem is TN 30. It's at least 20 minutes from 411 to Reliance. I stick with my route. I also obey the speed limit pretty much.

As from Seymour I don't know, depends if you are in the holler or not I guess.

Btw. How's life treating you Rocky, I haven't been down to the HI in a long time. Are you still in the business? Done any Smokies trips?

Old 02-10-2007, 02:16 PM

From the cabin in Reliance (located on the north river bank above the trestle) I can be at the junction of 411 and 30 in Etowah in 20 minutes. No matter how fast I've driven, this has been my best time.

I'm very familiar with the Tellico/Reliance Rd (hwy315) and Mecca Pike as I drive that way frequently when working in Tellico as I come from Reliance. It just seems to me that all the slow twisty turns between Tellico and Reliance would make that route (Madisonville - Tellico Plains- Reliance) much slower than 411 thorugh Etowah.

Anyway, no differnce eitherway I guess.....Your route is probably much more scenic. However, I do love Hwy 30 as I drive up along the river. It's all a matter of personal prefrence I suppose.

The family and I are all doing well. Been sick a few times this winter but I guess that's to be expected with the kids.

Business has been really good. Of course winter time work has been a little slow, but that's the norm for us I guess. Fishing has been good though and we've expanded to include some other great tailwaters in the south. Of course the Hiwassee is still our bread and butter.

Last season I worked 2 or 3 trips in the park in helping out some of my friends who had big groups. I enjoy the mountain trips but anymore I really prefer having the oars in my hands and whitewater under my boat.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:24 PM

That drive up 30 is sweet and one of the reasons I like that area. It's a beautiful river valley.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:05 PM

HOW FAR DO THE DRIFT BOATS GO DOWN FROM THE RAMP @ THE POWERHOUSE?
I PLAN TO DRIFT FISH MARCH 24 - 25, AND DO NOT WANT TO GET TOO FAR DOWN....AND NO RETURN..
THANK YOU.
OLD BEAU
Old 02-10-2007, 11:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

According to a client of mine who practically grew up on the Hiwasee, North, Bald and Tellico rivers, the quickest route to the powerhouse on the HI is 411 south, to route 30, to Reliance, etc. She lives midway between Madisonville and Tellico Plains and knows that country like the back of her hand. She tells me that 68 and 315 are 2-lane, ridge and valley running roads, whereas 411 S. is pretty much 4-laned all the way from Maryville to Cartersville, GA. Indeed, before Tennessee got a lottery, my wife and I used to drive 411 S. to Tennga on the TN/GA line to play MegaMillions .

If I were coming down I-75 from Knoxville, I'd get off at Rt. 68 and head east to 411 S., then down to 30 E. From the south I'd take I-75 N. to Rt. 64 E. to 411 N. to 30 E.

70+?? doable in Blount County 8-).

Little known secret: Blount County cruisers aren't equipped with radar - except for the black traffic units and a few K-9 units

Gerry

ps. no inside info on Monroe or McMinnn counties... you're on your own 8-)
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 02-11-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
HOW FAR DO THE DRIFT BOATS GO DOWN FROM THE RAMP @ THE POWERHOUSE?
I PLAN TO DRIFT FISH MARCH 24 - 25, AND DO NOT WANT TO GET TOO FAR DOWN....AND NO RETURN..
THANK YOU.
OLD BEAU
If your new to the river, I wouldn't reccomend going downstream any further than the Towee Creek take out. The river between Towee Creek and Reliance can be a very tough ride if your not sure of your lines.

Folks who know the river can drift all the way from the Powerhouse downstream about 21 miles to Paddy Bridge with the right water flows.

Practical floats are from the PH to Towee for a short float, PH to Reliance for a full day float, Reliance to 411 for a day float, or 411 to Paddy for a day float on low water.

All these floats except the last require flow from the PH.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:13 AM

THANK YOU!
I HAVE ONLY FISHED AROUND THE POWERHOUSE AND FIRST ISLAND...WHICH I ASSUME IS BEFORE TOWEE CREEK TAKE-OUT.
IS THE TROUT POPULATION ANYTHING BETWEEN RELIANCE AND 411 THIS TIME OF YEAR?
SOUNDS LIKE THIS WOULD BE A MORE RELAXING FLOAT..WITHOUT THE SHALLOW WATER AND ROCK?
SURE IS A BEAUTIFUL VALLEY...!!
I WILL BE WORKING ON THE FLIES FOR THE TRIP!
OLD BEAU