Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-01-2007, 11:09 PM

Default Wading Boots

Got a pair of wading boots at Dicks for $40 back in October. They've all but fallen apart since then. Almost all of the seams are undone. You get what you pay for...I get the point.

Anyway, I've been looking at the Simms Guide Boot. A little pricey, but I'm more than willing to pay for something that will last. Anyone else have these? Any other recommendations? LRO, I'll be getting these at your place the next time I'm over that way.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Wading Boots

I have the simms l2 lightweight boots and i love them! There is plenty of ankle support and it is very sturdy, although lightweight so that they are as comfortable as possible if you plan on hiking in them or fishing all day.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:40 PM

I have a pair of Chota STL Plus and I love them. I didn't know if I would like the lace up feature of these boots, but I really appreciate it. They are very well made and I love the dark felt.

Dude
Old 02-01-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I have the simms l2 lightweight boots and i love them! There is plenty of ankle support and it is very sturdy, although lightweight so that they are as comfortable as possible if you plan on hiking in them or fishing all day.
I was looking at these too. I wasn't sure if those synthetics would hold up as well as the leather on the Guide. How long have you had them?

Old 02-02-2007, 01:37 AM

simms makes a good, durable boot. I had a pair of the freestone boots (the cheapest ones) for 3 years heavy use, still in fine shape, but I wanted something a little lighter, so I went with the patagonia riverwalker's I believe. excellent boot and superlight, like a tennis shoe. I'll see how they hold up. I also really like the cloudveil boots. my advice is if you're going to be hiking in them, get something light. in my opinion, the chota's are a great value and impressively light and comfortable. I know a few people who have them and love them. I'm not sure how durable they are, but as someone once said, "at $50 a pair, I can buy a new one every year". If I was buying a new pair right now, I'd probably go with the chotas.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:05 AM

Go with the Chota STL boots!

I started with cheap pair of boots and my feet would kill me after just a few hours fishing. I got a pair of the Chota STL's from LRO and I could not believe how comfortable they were. I highly recommend them.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:38 AM

I have had mine for about half a year now, which isn't long, but during that time they have been abused pretty good and show no signs of wear. I own a couple other simms products and will testify to their quality, so i don't think that you would have a problem with them. My recommendation is to go to a fly shop and get an up close look at several different brands, like the simms and the chota, that way you can figure out which one you prefer. I would imagine that any of the boots that people have recommended would be fine, so just pick out the one that suits you the best.

Craig
Old 02-02-2007, 07:33 AM

Believe it or not,I have been using a pair of Orvis wading shoes for about "6"years now. They have been abused in the worst way, hiking many miles,mountain streams,tailwaters,lakes ect. I really don't know how these things are still holding together! Other than needing to have the felt replaced(which I will do this week) they only look faded. Amazing! I guess I am sold and will never change to another shoe unless quality changes. If you like light weight wading shoes they have several models. When it's time to change I will get a pair of Pack & Travel wading shoes.

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-02-2007, 11:23 AM

I personally use a pair of Simms Freestone that I have had for years. I have resoled twice. While they look worn, they still serve the purpose and are extremely comfortable to wear.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

I have the Simms Freestone. They hold up great. This is my second pair in 4 years, first pair I outgrew, but they are still in good shape. Ill testify for Simms quality all the way. I think if you buy the Simms L2 or Guide or G3 or whatever, you'll be satisfied.

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com