Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Conservation Organizations and Fly Fishing Clubs

Old 02-07-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Cookout May 19th, 2007

OK here's the latest greatest on the cookout. I decided to start a new topic just to keep myself from getting confused (it doesn't take much ).
We will have Metcalf Bottoms Pavilion reserved for Sat May 19th from 4pm - 8 pm. I have cleared us with the park service to have Buddy's BBQ cater it, but the key is that we need at least 35 people signed up for food to have them do it. I had the guy at Buddy's quote me for 40 people and it looks like it will be about $11 - 12 per person, which includes the pavilion rental ($20) & the travel fee for Buddy's ($50). The more people we have show, the less it will be per person. If I remember correctly the GSMNP site says that the pavilion will hold up to 70 people, but my feeling is that if we have more than that there should be plenty of room to spread out.
The menu will be an all you can eat buffet that will consist off BBQ chicken, pork, sandwich buns, sides ( I would guess corn, beans,chips, etc), drinks, & I think dessert. They will also provide plates & utensils. There is the option of doing just pork (no chicken) that would reduce the cost by $1 per, but I thought there may be a few out there that didn't eat pork or just prefered chicken.
I have scheduled dinner to start at 5pm thinking that should give us time to eat and socialize then still maybe have a little bit of daylight left to fish a little more. We officially have the pavilion until 8pm, but there will not be a group scheduled after us.
I won't need any firm commitments at this point but if you are reasonably sure that you are going to attend please post a response so that I can be fairly confident that we are going to have the required number to get Buddy's to cater, in other words I've already put a deposit down . Judging from the past responses I don't think that is going to be an issue. Sometime in April I will make another post to remind everyone and at that time I will need to get a firm headcount so I can relay that to Buddy's.
If anyone has any suggestions on our menu options or dinner time please let me know, because we do have some flexibility at this point. I look forward to seeing everyone there, I think it'll be a blast.
I would also be interested to see what ya'lls plans are for accommodations, hoteling it or camping, & if camping which campground? I'm kinda up in the air depending on if my wife & little girl come too.
Later, Matt
Old 02-07-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Cookout May 19th, 2007

Budman,

Thanks for all the footwork! I will be in the moutains camping with my 4yo son.
(I always stay at elkmont but have Cades Cove campsite reserved this time) Variety is the spice of life....
Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-07-2007, 08:28 PM

I'll be at Little River Village...
Old 02-07-2007, 08:51 PM

I'll be there with my wife and kids! *I'll probably stay in a local hotel (Comfort Inn or something like that).

Thanks for setting this up!!! *

TFnut

“You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for a buck fifty in late charges at the public library.” – Will Hunting (played by Matt Damon), Good Will Hunting
Old 02-07-2007, 10:46 PM

Count me in. I'll be glad to help any way I can. I probably won't stay in Townsend, though. I just live here in Knoxville.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:49 AM

I'd love to make it...don't know if I can swing that weekend...any of y'all up for some boiled crawfish with that bbq?

Old 02-08-2007, 07:23 AM

ijsouth,

You sure know how to make a man hungry at 0500 in the morning! My wife and I (before kids) made our annual pilgrimage to New Orleans for boiled crawfish and the obligatory trip to Cafe' Du Monde for those tasty beignets and French Market coffee. *Hope you can make it.. And yes, a shrimp and crawfish boil sounds great! *2 words- *YUM-YUM!!!

* Mark....

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-08-2007, 11:25 PM

Well, brown shrimp season will probably be a week or so out by the time of the cookout...and it's towards the end of the traditional crawfish season...before there was so much pond-raised crawfish, we were dependent on the high waters of the Mississippi coming down and flooding the Atchafalaya Basin. The best crawfish still comes from there - the wild spillway mudbugs tend to be bigger and more flavorful, IMO.

Probably the biggest day for crawfish boils is Good Friday - very traditional.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:32 AM

I'll be there, and I'll be hungry. I live in knoxville, but I may camp just for the heck of it. budman, thanks for taking initiative and heading this thing up. it'll be great to meet everyone.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:26 AM

I'll be there! I will be camping somewhere, maybe Little River Village.

BOILED CRAWFISH...HECK YEAH!!!!

I lived in Baton Rouge for five years, about the only thing I miss about living there is the food.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.