Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-09-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Another Clinch report and *a looking for work ad

Hey fish heads

First with the Clinch report. *About 3 or so yesterday the air around the weir dam (and Im sure much of the rest of the Norris tailwater) was swarming with a huge midge hatch (looked like at least 3 species judging from size and color). *I took this opportunity to tie on a #20 black/gray winged midge emerger and the fun began. *I probably landed 15 fish or so, the largest a nice chunky 13 inch brown, and missed countless strikes. *A couple of minutes after I landed the brown, I lost a fish that i would have really liked to have seen. *There is nothing quite like the feeling you get when you are hooked up to what you think is a nice fish only to see the line go slack. *But you know what, that is what keeps us all coming back, right? *I have been on the Clinch for the better part of the past month when they are not running water, and been doing pretty well, which leads me to the second part of my post.

A little about myself first. *I'm 26 and grew up in Nashville before moving to Branson, MO when I was 13 or so. *I began fly fishing on Ozark tailwaters about a year later, tying flies shortly after, and still haven't got enough of the sport. *I attended Missouri State University and received a bs in biology and then moved to Knoxville to attend graduate school at UT under Dr. David Etnier (for those of you who are not familiar with his name he discovered the snail darter and was integral in attempting to halt the completion of the Tellico dam, which wiped out a storied trout fishery). *So in January I received my MS in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology from UT with an emphasis in ichthyology and aquatic entomology. *Ive pretty much been fishing everyday I can between the first of Jan and now. *I'm scheduled to begin working at the end of this month, but this work is seasonal (trough August) and I'm starting to plot how I can build a career for myself in fly fishing.

I would love to become a guide on East Tennessee waters. *I feel like I know the rivers of the area (especially the Clinch) well enough to take people out and put them on fish on most days. *If there is anyone out there who has a guiding business and needs an apprentice over the summer please let me know. *I will be working on Mon-Thurs each week but have Fri-Sun off. *I love people and introducing people to the sport and really want to learn the ins and outs of the business. *It is something that I am skilled at and, more importantly, passionate about.

Alternatively, if there is an angler like myself with similar goals let me know. *I have some good ideas about a guide service which not only takes people fishing but also takes them sampling native fish, mussel, and aquatic invertebrate communities on streams and rivers of the state and introducing them to the native species which make Tennessee the most biodiverse non-tropical region of the world with respect to aquatic organisms.

Well sorry to have rambled, if anyone gets this and has suggestions please let me know. *If you are looking for me I'll most likely be on the Clinch for the next couple of weeks as long as the water is off.

take care

Old 02-09-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Another Clinch report and *a looking for work

Phillip,

It was nice to meet you the other day. I struggled a bit due to the fact that I was freezing because I forgot my stocking cap. How did you like the blousing straps that were not working for ear muffs? Pretty funny huh... Hopefully you can find the right match for your talents. I'll hit the Clinch again when it warms up. Hope to see you there! Good luck!

Kevin
Old 02-09-2007, 12:31 PM

I was on the Clinch yesterday as well, down by Miller's Island. Good times.

I think your proposal sounds interesting. Shoot me a pm with some more info on this "sampling". I'd love to get to know this state's resources better. I just moved here myself about a year ago from up around Charlotte, NC.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Another Clinch report and  a looking for

Phillip,

I've worked on fish monitoring projects with David Etnier. Great guy, loves to fish. His book, "The Fishes of Tennessee" is a masterpiece. I use it as a reference for tying baitfish patterns.

Get ahold of Rob Fightmaster who is starting a new guide service in the area. He is a nice guy with a lot of talent. We will be sending business to him. E-mail: Rob@FightmasterFlyFishing.com.

Byron

Old 02-09-2007, 04:41 PM

hey thanks for the response guys, you know I read this and then I thought to myself after I had sent it. . .

* "Nobody wants to hear your life story, all any of us come hear to discuss is fishing"

but it all seemed relative at the time, I swear it did, lol!

Anyway *I would still love to get into guiding, and would first probably need to work for someone to learn the trade.

so there is the shortened version of my shameless self pitch

cheeers
Old 02-09-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Another Clinch report and  a looking for

I don't see anything wrong with what you posted, Hydro.

If you go to work for someone else just keep in mind that they are most likely going to be supplying you with what you need. Ex., Boat, insurance, equipment. Unless they are gangbusters then your pay is going to be low. I've paid people like this but I won't do it again. They simply don't understand the outfitters cost. It has and will cause problems.

If you're serious about your fishing then I would suggest buying your own equipment. You'll use it anyway. I am more likely to hire someone that already has their own equipment and insurance. Subcontracting, so to speak. But, when you do subcontract, it is about the outfitter you are working for, not your own personal service. This is basic business etiquette, in my opinon, but you'd be surprised how many people don't follow it. The best thing you can do is find a good network of guides that have good reputations for being honest. Stay away from selfish guides.

I don't know when I'll be back up there but when I return to Tennessee I plan to get my services started again. It would be great to share a day on the water with you to talk fishing and guiding.