Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-21-2007, 09:11 AM

Thumbs up Clinch Above the Weir Dam

Good day to all. The weather is on the move up and I am ready to fish. I was thinking about hitting the clinch on Sat. and would like some info on the area above the weir dam. I have read some info on this board but would like to know were I can access the section. Thanks for the help

Patrick
Old 02-21-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Above the weir

Patrick,
There is a path that runs the length of the Weir Pool, lots of places to access. You pretty much want to get in the water wade out about 25 yards and cast to the best apparent current (of which there is very little) You may have to find it by casting toward the far bank, slightly upstream. Then watch you line to see how the line is driftng. If you line bellies, then retrieve and recast to the area where the belly occurs, that will be your best flow. You may be able to see dark water indicating deeper water or vegetation, any of those drop-offs out there are a fair bet to catch a cruising fish. Takes are very slow and drifts very long, time wise, because there is so little current. It takes about 2 hours for the water to drop out once the turbines are closed. I would suggest 6x (typical for the Grinch) about 2-3 feet below a white wool/yarn indicator. Size 18 or 20 Bh pheasant tail or some sort of midge pattern, zebra or what have you. You will be able to see that most wade out about the same distance, I think this is because they are casting toward the main channel. Takes are typically very slow, you wait, your mind wanders and then you think; my indicator is sinking. As soon as it goes down set the hook very hard (typically you will have some slack and alot of line out there). Good luck! You might try taking some sort of midge emerger as well. You can cast it out and let it sit in the area of any seen rises, or just cast it out and let it drift, but drag free! Some like to strip Woolly Buggers as well, though I have never tried this on the Clinch, small ones, probably the olive/black tail size 10, maybe with split shot on the leader to help get it down alittle.
Good luck,
John
Old 02-21-2007, 05:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE

Patrick,

There is a really good spot to fish about say um 1/4 to 1/2 mile above to weir. It is where they park the horse trailers. There are a few access trails along the trees next to the river. It is a great place to fish and personally one of my favorites.

Jeremy
Old 02-21-2007, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the tips guys.

Patrick
Old 02-21-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFM4LIFE View Post
Patrick,

There is a really good spot to fish about say um 1/4 to 1/2 mile above to weir. It is where they park the horse trailers. There are a few access trails along the trees next to the river. It is a great place to fish and personally one of my favorites.

Jeremy
This is the same spot I prefer to fish. It usually isn't as crowded as the areas closer to the dam.

Also, remember your polarized sunglasses. There are some deeper holes out there that you can step into if you're not careful.

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2007, 08:13 PM

Default Clinch

Sivad,
On a bright sunny and warm day like today, from about 3-dark there has been a great midge rise. Fishing is usually on the far bank as John pointed out, but in the evening alot of fish move towards the bank that you get in on. You can believe it or not but use a SMALL indicator about 10" above a midge pattern and have a great time in shallow water. Keep your false casting to NONE. You can still wade towards the other side but not necessary and be extremely careful with generation schedules.

Cast to the rise. The water is slow so don't think you have lots of time to cast 4feet above and the fish will still hold. They cruise, and sometimes in pods. Also anywhere from Clear Creek upstream to the dam this is going on in the evenings. Have a great time.

Flat Fly'n
Old 02-22-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Flat Fly'n

Phil,
Are you guys catching any big toothy critters? There is a meeting tonight at Gander Mountain a 7:00pm. I am going to try to go and see what they have to say.
Best,
John
Old 02-22-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Toothy critters

Muskies in the Clinch would be kinda like "yankees in Atlanta!?"

I have not caught nor seen a muskie in the Clinch. Sounds interesting for a brief momemt on 6X. Dean and I were talking about going for the toothy critters here soon. I think I need to run over someone's pet chicken to get enough feathers for one of the flies though.

Maybe that's were all the fish are going? HA.....Jim from the Creel swore he had a striper on one year on the Clinch above 61 bridge. The striper ate a trout as he was bringing it in. HMMMMMMM, no, that's illegal I think.

Flat Fly'n

I had planned to make the meeting but I have a funeral to attend tonight. Let me know, I always need an excuse to fire up the Flat Fly'n!
Old 02-23-2007, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
HA.....Jim from the Creel swore he had a striper on one year on the Clinch above 61 bridge.
I wouldn't doubt it. Two summers ago, I saw plenty of them cruising a couple river miles above 61.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:04 AM

Smile

I have caught a stripper behind the jail. It was last summer. Caght it on a olive wooly bugger.

Patrick