Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 02-09-2007, 07:15 PM

Default The Madd River *in Ohio

I had to go to my Urbana locations today so I took the trusty Nikon digital. I was shooting some pics of the Madd River to post and show the limited trout water we had up north (Ohio) when I looked over the side of the bridge and this incredible brownie spotted me clear up on the bridge and was darting back and forth madly to find a place to hide. I bet I shot 15 pics in rapid fire and luckily he was in one of them.....man he was a real beauty......enjoy

buckeyetrouter [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Jeremiah 29:13
Old 02-09-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Re: The Madd River  in Ohio

Great pics Buckeye Trouter I caught my first trout out of a river on the Mad on a salmon egg in the mid seventies. I was born and raised around 45 minutes north of there. I fished the Mad with a fly rod for the first time last April, had a pretty good day with the largest being 12", nothing like the one in your pic. I hope to head up there again this spring to fish the Mad some more with my 2 older brothers. I have had some great times over the yaers on that river, fishing, canoeing, etc. I like the little town of Urbana as well, always thought I might want to live around there someday. Your pics got me anxious to head up there again.

Neal
Old 02-09-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: The Madd River *in Ohio

hey, that's not a bad looking stream. looks alot like the spring section of abrams.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:10 AM

Buckeye,

Looks cold but inviting! Nice pics. If I ever find myself up your way,might have to hook up and try to catch that ole boy.

Mark....

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-10-2007, 09:05 AM

hey Mark....if ya do, you better bring your camo and patience, this ole boy was so paronoid that when I spotted me on the bridge (almost before I spotted him) he darted back and forth looking for cover about 8 times until he found a large rock to use...and even that wasn't enough cause he finally shot under the bridge where he couldn't see me and I couldn't see him..........guess he didn't get that big by being stupid...

if you go onto www.madriveroutfitters.com you will see a fishing report (not quite the level of Byrons) for the Mad River and a few other spots around here. Best to be a nymph fisher around here.......

I may go after that ole boy next week (just to get out) before I head to Townsend for another LRO class....I'll let you know if I have any luck....

buckeyetrouter
Old 02-10-2007, 11:44 PM

Hey buckeyetrouter,

We have a put and take stream in northern Indiana, the Pigeon River, that is a dead ringer for your photos. The trout association here in Indiana stocks it through donations with browns in the spring and sometimes in the fall. There may be holdover fish that get as large as the big boy in your phot but I have never seen one of them. Did you get my PM on the Brookville tailwater fishery?

Regards , gary <*))))><
Old 02-11-2007, 08:43 AM

hey Gary.....got your pm.....can't wait to try it, but I have a new desire.....Au Sable....I went to the web site Byron posted and fell in love. I've read that you have tried it, tell me about it. Abby and I may change our summer vacation plans to hit this river......

that big boy in the pic was soooooooo paranoid, he was shooting all over the stream trying to get away.......would probably have to belly crawl to the waters edge to even have a chance.......

let me know what you thought about the Au Sable

thanks
buckeyetrouter
Old 02-12-2007, 03:05 PM

Hello again buckyeyetrouter,

I hope you get this, I am having a little trouble with the new web page. To begin with we did not have adequate rods for this water. We went with 3wgts. and should have had a 5 wgt. or 6 wgt. We fished at Thendara road access and the next bridge down which is Stephan Bridge. It is fairly large water there and the fish were probably lurking in the cover along both banks. I am used to smaller streams and to be honest didn't feel like I knew what I was doing. We were hoping to use dry flies but there were no hatches in progress. Nymphs and streamers may have been more appropriate for the time of year, late September.

If you do not choose to use a guide I would highly recommend a book titled "Michigan Trout Streams" (a fly anglers guide) by Bob Linsenman and Steve Nevala. Bob operates a fly shop in the town of Milo. I have found it invaluable when exploring Michigan, full of information on streams, access points, hatches, flies and lodging/restaurants in the area including Gates AuSable Lodge. Don't mention the book if you stop by The Fly Factory in Grayling. I got a dirty look from the guy working when I did. Seems it treads on what they consider their secret spots.

The AuSable is beautiful beyond belief. What trout stream isn't though? If I am able I will try it again next year when the hatches are in full swing. I was steelheading on the Big Manistee a few years ago and another fisherman told me about the night time hatches and the huge browns that can be taken. He related to me the stories of fish taking flies while they were stuffed to the gills with naturals.

I don't know how much help I have given you but sure would like to know how you did if you get to give it a go.

Best Wishes, gary <*))))><
Old 02-13-2007, 08:14 AM

got your message, having trouble replying.....

buckeye
Old 02-13-2007, 11:57 AM

Default The Mad

Nice to show off an Ohio stream. I caught my very first Brown there the Sunday before Xmas. An 18"er! I remember fishing for Rainbows back in college and being blown away by the fact that the Mad is actually clear. Not very usual here in OH. With the Mad, Clear Creek, and Clear Fork along with the Erie tribs, Ohio is starting to be a real Trout state.
It is sad that the state won't do more. It's my understanding that Trout groups offered to pay for a Trout stamp, so funds could be generated for stream improvement, but the state said no thanks. I guess all they do is drive up and dump Browns once a year. I guess it's better than nothing.
Thanks for the pics - it helped my cabin fever a little.