Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-03-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Muskie Photo

One more try!
Lets see if that worked, I hope I posted the wrong link.
Best,
John
Old 08-04-2007, 09:30 PM

Angry awesome fish

that's awesome great pic. i really need to start carrying a camera but the luck i've had this year i would have a hard time finding something to take a picture of.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:58 PM

Default musky subspecies and fishing

John, that is a great picture. Very healthy looking fish.

And you are right, they are native to BSF and especially the Clear Fork trib, and also some other scattered spots like French Broad, Little T, and Hiwassee. But our native fish, a subspecies only found in rivers of the Ohio drainage, went practically extinct during the mid 20th century (same old culprits as always; dams and pollution). This strain is pretty different than the northern-lake subspecies they produce at hatcheries, and which doesn't have the ability to spawn in TN at all. Our native strain rarely ever got above 20 pounds. The last remnants of our native strain in TN were in the BSF and Obed river systems. But that was the 60's and early 70's. By the late 90's when I was working as a fisheries tech it was generally accepted that the native strain had likely gone extinct. The stocking of the Lake strain in many of their native creeks probably sealed their fate, if they weren't gone already. If anyone else on the list has better information than I do, surely let me know.

JG and/or John, I'd probably like the chance to fish with either of you. I can tell from your past posts that you are both good fisherman that I could learn from and would probably enjoy fishing with, even if we didn't catch anything. I've never yet fished with anyone on the list, but would like to. I'll fish for about anything, but often stick to flies. I'd prefer during the week, but weekends are a possibility too. If you are interested, please contact me at josh att crunks dot com.

JG, you mentioned the upper Caney has dried up. I wonder how much you have explored it. That river goes underground and pops back up in a bunch of places, but it is so remote that much of it is hard to get to. Some of the big pools hold a ton of fish in really dry weather like this.

Be well, Josh
Old 08-06-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Fishing Snaildarter

Hey I don't get anything with that address. I would like to fish with you, I could show you most of what I know in 30 minutes! But hey lets go fishing!
jswitow@hotmail.com just to make contact.
Best,
John
Old 08-06-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Stocked Fish

I thought the fish which were stocked were tigers (sterile cross between the Muskie and the Northern). Is that not the case? That fish from the Big South Fork (Caught by a good friend; Vince Jeffers) is definately a pure muskie. More than that I do not know.
Best,
John
Old 08-07-2007, 05:43 PM

Default tigers and fishing

I would assume that tigers are stocked somewhere in the state, but I couldn't find it. However, I did find the 2006 list of musky stockings. Here is the list:
musky list pdf

John, by the way, I purposely typed my email address in the post above with a spelling error to stop the spam bots from collecting it. It must have been too misspelled to be legible. I hate spam! I'll email you in a bit. I'll be happy to show you all of my vast fishing knowledge. 5 minutes later, we can start fishing!

JGduckhunter, you still up to show us your "new top secret location?" Are you having second thoughts yet? I can only say that myself, I don't keep anything, especially muskies, and I live far enough away from your area that I won't harass them very often.

-Josh
Old 08-07-2007, 07:06 PM

Smile reply

i'm going to have to work 7 days a week for the next three weeks at least but after that it is going to be hard to keep me off the water. i'll get in touch with you as soon as i get this job done. the place i am talking about is in the middle of sparta. i mean right in town it's to deep to wade but it is full of muskie and little smallies. there is a dead end street 1 block down from the court house that ends in sort of a little park with a boat ramp. from here you can fish up or down a pretty good ways. there is also a walking path (paved) on the other side some people walk and fish where they can find openings.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:11 PM

Default tiger muskie

has anyone on here ever caught one fo these i've seen pictures but i would like to see one for real. someone told me to try daddy's creek north of crossville. i never have had the time to look into it. i didn't know they were a hybrid i just assumed they were another species.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Calf Killer, Daddy's, Tigers, and Work

JG, as best I can tell, no muskies have been stocked in Calf Killer, so they must have come upstream from the Caney Fork stocking spot, which is the 111 bridge area.

Again, I can't find anything on tigers being stocked in TN. TWRA's Region 4 web site seems to imply that they are not stocked at all in TN.

Daddy's creek has regular muskies. That's the only place I have actually landed one. That creek has to be one of the most rugged in the state.

Too bad you have to work! But please remember us when you go musky hunting again! And thank you for the fishing hole!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Stocking List

Snaildarter,
Much appreciate the list. I don't see anything closer that Clear Fork to the BSF unless Clear Creek is a trib. Have to get my Gazatteer out. I will look for your email.
Best,
John