Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-15-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Cold Fishing

It is very cold out, now what i herd is that in cold weather you have to put the fly right on the fish nose. Otherwise a fish is very rare. Is this true do they stop bitting in the cold? Also do any of you know haow a fish stays warm, I mean I can't even touch water how come the fish arn't like froze blocks of ice! I never knew how they stay warm.

Thanks
Giantfish
Old 02-15-2007, 10:09 PM

Hey Giantfish.

Fish are cold-blooded creatures that take on the temperature of their environment. So when its cold-they are cold, like wise, when its hot they are hot. When they are cold their metabolism slows down and they tend not to feed as actively,although they must continue to feed to survive. Best I can do. Keep fishing....

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-15-2007, 10:30 PM

Talking

Well giantfish, as to why the trout stay warm, i believe it's because they're fish, enough said (sorry, your guess is as good as mine). I'm sure that someone here can give you a more scientific answer on that one.

Winter fishing to me is quite difficult for both fishing and personal reasons. Number one, for the most part, wintertime will require you to use a nymph and fish it slow and deep, real deep. This can be a challenge and a bit frustrating at times. My philosophy is that "if i'm not hitting bottom, then i'm not deep enough." Unfortunately, this philosophy also results in some lost flies. Another reason is that you have to find the proper clothing to keep you comfortable, but most importantly safe. It's amazing how fast hypothermia can set in if you're not prepared for the elements. For me, my hands and feet are extremely vulnerable and i have to wear gloves and several layers of socks. Also, if you fall in and you are not near a vehicle or a change of clothes, the situation can become very dangerous in a hurry. You're not likely to catch much in the winter when it's cold like it is now, but you never know.

A plus that i have seen, though, is that there are quite a few large fish caught during the winter. I guess it's because the cold water temps force you to fish deep where the big fish are, but it seems that more people catch large fish during cold weather. Maybe it's just me, i don't know. Also, cold weather significantly reduces the number of people you will see on the stream.

I'll be honest, sometimes the cold can make me absolutely miserable out on the water. My hands get to being numb, my feet feel like ice blocks, but i'd be lying if i said i wasn't having the time of my life. Winter fishing definitely offers a challenge to get the fish to bite. They will bite, it just takes a whole lot more effort and a giant heaping of patience. If you're going to fish in the winter, though, please be aware of the dangers that the cold air temps and water temps can do. Good luck and be safe!

Craig
Old 02-16-2007, 09:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantfish View Post
Also do any of you know haow a fish stays warm,
DryFly1 is right fish are cold bodied, their temperature depends on their environment. In rivers the water deeper than, say, 3ft isnt affected all that much by the cold. Its still cold, but doesnt fluctuate like the surface temps do. So trout will stay in those deep pools (generally deeper than 3ft). Same deal w/ lakes- deeper water doesnt cool or heat up due to the outside temperature so that is where the fish go. Of course "warm" to a trout is warm to me and you. The water at the bottom of those pools may be no warmer than like 40 degrees in winter. But trout kinda shut down at the same temp. this is why its tough fishing in the winter.

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 02-16-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Cold Fish/Wet Fish in my net Fish!

I have often wondered if fish realize they are wet? I pondered on that for a while once but got a headache so I quit. They probably don't even care. I do know I have been both cold and wet while fishing.

Never mind, gary <*))))><
Old 02-16-2007, 03:30 PM

Gary,
Do you think fish wonder if we realize that we're dry? OK now I'm getting the headache.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Cold Fish

Sage,

Unless I'm mistaken that is only in some counties in Tennessee! Sorry, I could not resist that. I wondered that myself while I was typing the first response but was afraid to even bring it up, dreaded the thought of another headache and a question I can't answer.

I'm betting the getting caught part is not nearly as fun as the catching part though. Of course they may see it as a challenge also. Can't you picture 2 trout betting that one can hit the fly and make a clean get away. Now I'm getting carried away.

Ain't it fun though, gary <*))))><
Old 02-16-2007, 08:31 PM

Of corse they know their wet! the water is flowing pass them. We are dry because when we pick them up they feel us. Now if they know they are fish or not........that is a good one........Do they know they are fish, that we are humans,or do they not care and just swim around and eat. I guess we will never know!

Giantfish
Old 02-17-2007, 11:21 AM

Default giantfish

giantfish--had an x-wife similar to trout in the winter--there are no answers