Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-16-2007, 01:05 AM

Exclamation Hogs???

Apparently there's been a lot of wild hog activity on the NC side recently. What's the protocol if you run into one or more of these things?

Thanks...
Kevin
Old 02-16-2007, 02:52 AM

Default Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by redc4man View Post
Apparently there's been a lot of wild hog activity on the NC side recently. What's the protocol if you run into one or more of these things?

I've run into a few hawg hunters in the past, but like yourself have never actually spotted a boar in the wild. I too might need to know how to react. Don't they usually live right on the water?
Old 02-16-2007, 07:00 AM

I have never run into one, just like y'all, but have heard that these are some mean suckers! I do know that they pose a problem to about every other species because all they do is tear up the soil looking for food. Like i said, i've never run into one, but have heard from some older gentleman that have and they said that hogs were very ornary. Don't really know what the protocol is, though. Late last year, i was fishing up above elkmont when a ranger with a backpack and some very heavy weaponry stopped us and he said he had been looking for hogs all day. The gun he had wasn't playing around, it was serious! Aparently, the park service doesn't care for hogs either.

Craig
Old 02-16-2007, 08:40 AM

Ain't Skerd!! Don't know of any official protocol for wild hogs. What I can tell you from experience is the ones I have seen were too busy hauling tail to worry about. I figure if I am confronted I will stand my ground,avoid those nasty teeth and have some baby backs smoked on a BC campfire! If you see some baby piglets out there I wouldn't pick one up and play with it. Have you ever seen how an old sow reacts when her baby starts squeeling? Ouch...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-16-2007, 10:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

my experience is that hogs will avoid people. as for being by water, the largest herd of hogs i ever saw was on turkeypen ridge and not near any streams.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:38 AM

I saw a hog and baby once. they ignored me. from what I've been told, your best bet is to climb a tree, boulder or something so it can't get to you. I've been told that their skull is so thick that you can't harm them by throwing a rock. hopefully I won't ever have to deal with one.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:52 AM

A little inside info:

I grew up raising hogs and cattle. You are right ttas67 that they have hard heads. But,even though they root around all day,they have "very tender snouts!" Go here first and whack um real good,this will usually turn them. Been there,done that many,many times on the farm... It works!

* Getting out of their way is always the first option though.. Tree,etc...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-16-2007, 12:36 PM

Paula and I live at the base of Rich Mountain. In the winter the wild hogs come down to the lower elevations. We've had some rooting around in front of our house for the last few days. Our dogs are scared when they go out. We have bears around the house quite often but this is the first time we've had wild boar that we know of.

Paula and I ran into a big one when we were backpacking into campsite 18. He stood in the trail and didn't move. I walked in front of her and made myself look as big as possible. When I got within 50 feet of him he walked off into the woods. We could hear him in the woods following us for a while but we never saw him again.

Byron
Old 02-16-2007, 12:46 PM

They are mean suckers. I know that they have been quite a nuisance up in the Smokies - their rooting can cause a lot of damage.

Down here, before Katrina, they were quite a problem, too. They were tearing up the levees out in New Orleans East. I imagine the storm drowned a lot of them, but they'll come back. My dad told me, years ago, hog farmers would turn their pigs loose in the bottomlands in the winter, to let them forage. A lot of them couldn't be found in the spring, so they would turn wild, and breed with the wild hogs already there.

Other than man, the only predators they have here are gators - and they don't have to eat a hog a day all the time.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:05 PM

Tyrone, you da' man!

I saw a dozen or so crossing the road up on North River once, but they didn't seem to see me.

I understand they have very poor eyesight, so maybe just standing still would be a good approach, unless they're close already. At that point I think I'd be climbing a tree. The big ones are plenty fierce!

sb