Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-16-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Springtime Fishing!

Just checked the weather and it looks like its going to begin to warm up next week. Spring is right around the corner, and this will be our first taste of it!

I only began FF last September, so I have never experienced spring or summer fishing in the park. Spring has always been my favorite time of the year. I love to see everything come to life once again.

So, anyway, how is the fishing? Tell me what I've got coming...what do you all like best about springtime fishing in the park?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Doghaircaddis

Picture this: mayfly hatches that produce adults the size of hubcaps (small exaggeration) and fish head soup (well, rising fish everywhere) with winter hungry trout eating voraciously off the surface.

How's that sound?

Paula
Old 02-16-2007, 02:50 PM

I, too, have looked at the weather and it is definitely exciting. The idea of casting to fish that aren't hunkered down on the bottom with lockjaw will turn any head. Winter fishing is good and all, but man can it be tough.

Spring is considered by many to be the best time of the year because the water temperature stays in that "magic zone" for awhile. You will find fish eagerly taking dry flies and the insects will start hatching off in good numbers. Definitely a good time to fish if you like dry flies.

Craig
Old 02-16-2007, 02:51 PM

Same with me...all I've experienced have been the "off" times...late summer, with extremely low water conditions and skitterish fish, and late fall/winter - with cold water and comatose fish.

We're heading up there right after Mardi Gras...whether we would go or not would be weather-dependent, and that forecast is looking pretty good for next week. It might not be quite the absolute peak of spring fishing, but it at least might be the start of it. Very exciting.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:41 PM

It's hard to say what is best, because the sights are more than you can take in because of all the new spring growth, the sounds will drive you nuts (fish surface feeding all around you and you want to catch them all ), and the smells, whoa at all the different smells. But if I had to say what I liked best, it would have to be hungry,hungry fish knocking the hackles off a dry fly.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:07 PM

I've already scheduled to be off next Thurs and Fri just in case..... I've got my fingers crossed that the action will pick up!

Kevin
Old 02-16-2007, 10:21 PM

I'm pretty sure the first week and a half of March will be really lousy... My spring break is never good for fishin'.... Immediately after that it should be epic...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-17-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbegley View Post
Doghaircaddis

Picture this: mayfly hatches that produce adults the size of hubcaps (small exaggeration) and fish head soup (well, rising fish everywhere) with winter hungry trout eating voraciously off the surface.

How's that sound?

Paula
Fish head soup has never sounded so appealing.

How is stream access in the summer? Does the foliage make things difficult?
Old 02-17-2007, 10:40 AM

As I type there is a heavy snow falling here in Middle Tennessee with about a 1/2 inch of accumulation. Spring is so close and yet so far! I'm ready to burn down the cabin and cure this fever! "What can I get you sir?" I'll have some of that fish head soup and bring it in a hubcap! What do I like about spring FF in the mountains? That first step into a cool mountain stream after a long winters nap........

Mark-

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-17-2007, 01:05 PM

plateau angler, I'm starting to worry a little myself that the first week of march is going to be freezing cold. it's only 2 weeks from now. remember, we were granted some excellent december and january warm weather fishing. I think we may have to pay that pack come march. but around here you never know. it could be 70 all that week and then drop back down into the 30's. regardless I'm going to enjoy it. A week off from school and work is much needed!