Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-21-2007, 10:48 PM

Smile More Surviving Fun!

Ok you know me and survival, well I got another puzzle for ya! Ok you went on a wekend backpack trip, 10 miles in. You get there, set up tent, and then decide to fish. you go to your rod and reel cases, open them,and......OH NO! You forgot to get them! Well you are 10 miles from the truck and along way from home where you left your fly fishing suplies. All you have is your vest, and a net.

Now here is the fun but puzzling part. How do you fish for food, I want to hear all the ways you think you can catch a fish. I don't care how crazy it gets just as long as you can get two fish out of the water and on land. Remember all you have is a net and your vest, and of coarse Nature, all the land around you. So get to thinking and I will tell you my way at the end!

Thanks
Giantfish
Old 02-21-2007, 11:45 PM

Hi Giantfish!

Well, if I have my vest, then I have a spool of 6x tippet. And if I'm in the woods where there are trees, I'd have small trees or at least branches. I'd find myself a limber branc h about 6 ft long, tie on some 6x tippet and a caddis and play catch-n-release until I got ready to stop fishing - at which point, were I lucky or good enough, I'd flop two trout on the bank; hook 'em on a forked stick just like Opie would and head for camp!

If I didn't have the 6x tippet or the flies I guess I'd try to dam up a section of the creek and wait til the water drained out of it? Or throw rocks at the fish maybe? I dunno.

Btw - I wasn't 10 miles in, but I was stranded in Shining Rock Wilderness area last year overnight with just my vest and rod and no water or food. Not fun. Won't happen again....at least not without water.
You have this happen to ya or are we just supposin' here? I hope I get a passin' grade!
Old 02-22-2007, 09:00 AM

If you are in the park don't let a ranger catch you cutting down one of those limber limbs.....but 10 miles back into the woods not much of a chance of that. I have tried to hand grab trout that have unhooked themselves from under rocks before and it isn't easy....have also sloshed thru many a feeder creek without scaring up a fish....if I was really hungry would probably play like a bear and eat the berries....if I had a pot and fire would also think about scaring up a mess of crayfish...La. mug bugs....tiny lobsters....a lot easier to catch than a trout.....
Old 02-22-2007, 09:10 AM

are we in the park Giantfish?

either way, me starving or cutting a limb, I'm gonna cut that limb. The environment will recover, but no food for me and I won't! speaking of which, mountain laurel will burn when wet. But it's toxic i think so don't inhale.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:43 AM

I've heard you could crumble up walnut bark, toss it in a stream, and the chemical in the bark would temporarily stun the fish which would then float to the top for awhile. I guess if I was without food and a walnut tree was handy, I'd give that a try. I've always wanted to try it to see if it'd work anyway. Failing that I imagine I could fish fairly effectively with stuff from my vest like fishlicker. Take care,

hawgdaddy
Old 02-22-2007, 09:48 AM

Pretty cool site along these lines: http://www.primitiveways.com/fish_poison.html

Seems you can use the green walnut husk as well.

Take care,
hawgdaddy
Old 02-22-2007, 11:33 AM

Well some of you have good ideas that will work, except the rock throwing! What I would do is take a limb and make some line out of tree bark. hook I would carve one out of a thick peice of wood. After I got one fish I would eat it and use the bone to make another hook. There you go, You all pass!
Old 02-22-2007, 02:16 PM

Nice topic, and I'm glad we passed! Don't know how much of what we were typin' about would actually work in real life! LOL

Along those lines, what would you do if you'd hiked all day in an 80 degree sweat-fest, and you were 3 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway with no water or food and it was 2am?

The asnwer is not " Hike out to the parkway, nearly killing yourself, and try to hitchhike back to your car at 2am."

Trust me, you do not want to see the folks that are on the parkway at 2am! LOL YEESH! Scary!
Old 02-22-2007, 03:02 PM

All I can tell you is what I would do. Most trails in the park parallel a stream or close enough to get hydrated. I would simply camel-up at the nearest water source,bed down for night and hike out in the a.m. By the way, If you are hiking in the GSMNP you should never get dehydrated! Entirely too much water available! If your dehydrated drink, they make medication for GI problems! Best advice: Plan your hike and hike your plan.. Works every time...

Mark..

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-22-2007, 03:25 PM

Giantfish,

To answer your question:

You have a tent,so you use a tent pole for your rod,a guy-line for the fishing line and as you stated, make a hook out of wood or from a piece of your equipment(lots to choose from). Of course, don't forget about the net? Just my thoughts on how I would approach it... By the way, If I had my backpack and humped it in 10 miles with no food or my fishing gear, I would be kicking dirt and cussing like a sailor!!

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)