Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-24-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Son shows up Dad again!

My son and I went to the Acid Depo. meeting this morning at Park Headquarters.
The meeting ended earlier than I expected so we went down behind Park Headquarters to look at the stream and check the water temp.
It was 38 deg. at about 11 am. Way to cold to expect much action.
Since he is 13 and still learning the flyrod, I took him back down to G-burg to fish the DH section.
We got our 1 day permits and went down to the "Holt" picnic area and kids stream to gear up. We watched all the fish in the kids pool from the bridge and they seemed to be actively feeding. We started fishing above the childrens section and located some good stockers in the deepest pools. I missed a couple of fish before landing a nice 16" rainbow. I caught another upstream at the next good pool.
He took over the rod and after missing a few strikes, he finally hooked up on a solid fish. The fat rainbow measured out to be 18" and I could tell he was pleased to have caught the biggest fish of the day once again!
Old 02-24-2007, 08:46 PM

That's is awesome, only 13 on already catching the big ones and on a fly rod to boot. I did a short hike on Fighting Creek and didn't find any water above 39 degrees. I gave up and went to LRO to talk to Sarah Weeks who was doing a tying demo. I hang around the store for a couple of hours, bought a nice belt and went back home. I can't wait until the HI next weekend.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:49 PM

Troutman,

I hope my son out fishes me every time we go. That means I taught him every thing I know and he didn't listen to any of it!

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-25-2007, 05:12 PM

Smile

I too hope that my son will one day outfish me on every outing. This weekend I was happy to have him napping on my shoulder while Sarah did some tying. It was a great guys day out.

Brad
Old 02-26-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Kids starting out...

I'd be interested in hearing what some of you folks think is approximately the appropriate age for getting kids first started in fly fishing.

I had the oldest (now 5) out at 4 years old with a bobber and some crickets going after bluegills. Had to keep that short, but we had a good time. He reminds me frequently that he was the only one that caught keepers that day.

I'm sure I'm waaaay to early for a flyrod, but I'm ready to start counting the days.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-26-2007, 02:50 PM

Every kid is of course different, but I would say around 10-12 years old is a good age to try casting the flyrod. I have been taking my kids camping and hiking since they were able to walk. I always chose a place on a river or creek and we spent time turning over rocks and catching as many different kinds of bugs as we could find. We started using a flyrod at the lake catching bluegills and now that my 13 y. old can keep up with me on the streams, I try to take him often. I still have to limit the fishing times to about 2 hrs. and I try to pick places with a high probability of catching success. Lately DH has worked best for this but the tailwaters are picking up also.
I did take him up to LRO one day for some 1 on 1 casting time with David Carson and I believe it helped.
With the Spring hatches getting ready to kick off in the Mtns. we will be throwing alot of Dries to the hungry trout!
Old 02-26-2007, 04:51 PM

I'm working with my 4 year old now,
My goal is to keep it fun and entertaining! I think that every child is different and each has their own tolerance and attention span. I let my son cast and mess around with his own fly rod until he is content then we move on to something else. Basically I let him dictate on his own terms. This seems to work and he is always eager to get the rod out. I also take him fishing with a little zebco and some worms/crickets. Can't wait till were fly fishing in the same stretch of river and he says " Hey dad, try this one I tied, I'm killing um"

* My Legacy: For my son or daughter to stand in a stream that we fished together when they were kids,release a nice trout,look up and say "thanks dad"

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)