Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 02-24-2007, 11:43 PM

Question First Timer

Just wanted to send greetings to the members board ask some advice. I have fished the Cumberland for the last 2 years and most people know of the problems there with the dam. I am coming to Eastern Tenn. this week to fish the S. Holston for the first time. Any advice on fly selection? I am excited about exploring new fisheries in Tenn.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:10 AM

I'd start with midges #20 or smaller in Black, Grey or Tan. Blue Winged Olive emergers, Griffith's knat, Zebra midges would likely be good patterns.

Be sure to give us a full report
Old 02-26-2007, 06:19 PM

Mike,

Welcome to the board and website. You will get some good information here about fly fishing in Tennessee. I'm sad about the Wolf Creek Dam problem. I grew up fishing that lake and tailwater. Hope they get it fixed soon.

Byron
Old 03-17-2007, 03:05 PM

Default S. Holston Follow-up

It's actually been two weeks since our trip to S. Holston. This was as much a fact finding mission as a fishing trip. We did fish for two days. The two days we were there were the days the strong storms came through. Tornados and a lot of wind. The two of us caught a total of 7 fish. I caught a 17 in. r.bow the first day on about the 5th cast using a sz. 18 grey zebra midge. I lost several fish later that day on an assortment of flies. The second day I caught a beautiful 18 in. brown on a black wooly bugger. The water temp. was 44 the first day and 47 the second. I am looking forward to my nest trip to S. Holston when the weather gets better. It was a good learning trip.
we ate all of our meal a Webb's. Great people.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:18 PM

Thumbs up re: S Holston trip

Hey Mike,

Glad you were able to land some nice fish given the weather situation. Although it's been years ago, I have fond memories of the S Holston as it was where had my first fly-fishing experience. The wife and I caught 9 fish each.