Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-26-2007, 01:28 PM

Default My Mistake

I messed up big time. In yesterday's fishing report I stated that legal fishing time was 30 minutes after sunrise and 30 minutes before sunset. I was wrong. It's actually 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset. I always thought that you had to be out of the creeks when it's dark and never paid that much attention to when sunrise and sunset occured. Hope I didn't cause anyone a problem.

Byron
Old 02-26-2007, 06:19 PM

That last half hour of fishing time can be very important. The available twilight usually outlasts the sunset, likewise, the sky brightens with early twilight before the sun breaks the horizon. If there is to be a spinnerfall, it will likely not get underway until after sunset. Here are projections for early and late twilight and sunrise and sunset for April 28, 2007, just to show why the regulation is probably written the way it is:

Twi: 6:20am
Sunrise: 6:47am
Sunset: 8:18pm
Twi: 8:45pm

In PA, the Delayed Harvest Streams carry these same regulations, allowing you to be on the water at first light and remain until the final flicker-- but I would recommend a break for lunch, otherwise, that's a loooooooong day of fishin'.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:31 PM

Jack,

When I was younger, I would be waiting, totally dark, sipping coffee, looking at my watch, anticipating the moment for daybreak on the Yellow Breeches. Then I would fish at night until the white flies couldn't be seen, you could just hear the trout slurping them down.

Byron
Old 02-26-2007, 06:44 PM

I had the pleasure of bringing down the curtain on the Breeches last Fall when there were still a few white flies. The fish were rising steadily, but we were having the darndest time getting takes. My partner suggested a large black wooley bugger should be tied on before it was too late to see. We both ended up landing trout that were pushing 20". Honestly, though, I would rather have caught a small handful of the risers.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:53 PM

Some of the biggest and most memorable fish I've caught in the park have been just after it's been too dark to see my fly but light enough to see a hint of sky bordering the tree line. It's pretty cool to cast a dry and follow it in your mind while waiting for a taker. When you hear the take, man, what a feeling. Then you set the hook to find that "YEP, HE ATE IT". What a cool sport this is.