Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-26-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Furled leaders

I was browsing LRO's online store and was looking for two items and couldn't find them.

1.) Furled leaders
2.) Lead wire substitute

Does LRO carry these items and just not have them on their online catalog?
I realize that they have a huge inventory of small items and that they probably
can't list all of them.

I suppose I could call the store, but then I wouldn't be able to communicate with all of you fine folks! ~grin~
Old 02-26-2007, 03:47 PM

If LRO does not have them, furled leaders are not too difficult to get started making. I've made some for myself, and this weekend got my brother set up in less than an hour to make his own in two sizes. After a couple of false starts, we were turning out some nice leaders in short order.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
If LRO does not have them, furled leaders are not too difficult to get started making. I've made some for myself, and this weekend got my brother set up in less than an hour to make his own in two sizes. After a couple of false starts, we were turning out some nice leaders in short order

A friend first got me started making furled leaders. IMO I think the process is complicated enough that one would need to at least witness another person make a few and see the peg-board setup before one could jump right in. At least it did for me.

I love the fluid roll of the furled leaders and the fact that they have so little memory and always lay flat on the surface is truly a beautiful thing. Making them is fun too, but for all of their positives I quit using them. Maybe it was all in my head, but after 6 months (or around 6 fishing trips) it seemed like I was getting far-less interest from the Trout. I couldn't help but conclude that standard, clear, store-bought leaders would spook less fish. I still have a few furled leaders laying around. I may try one again someday and see what happens, but I wanted to get another opinon and see if anyone may have had a similar experience.

BTW, I believe they are available on the LRO online catalog--- "Braided Leaders" from Orvis.

Last edited by rainshaker; 02-26-2007 at 05:57 PM..
Old 02-26-2007, 06:41 PM

Freestone,

We don't sell furled leaders and I don't know exactly why. I think they work great but most of them are manufactured by small companies probably in someone's house. I may be wrong and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. We have a few customers who make their own and you can probably buy them from the maker or learn to make them yourself. As for the lead wire substitute, we do sell that in several sizes. The fly tying department is not on the online catalog so just give us a call. We'll be happy to send you what ever you want. Thank you for asking and we appreciate your friendship.

Byron
Old 02-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Administrator

We do carry furled leaders, but I sold our last one just minutes before the shop closed today.

I will have Daniel reorder them on Wednesday.

Paula
Old 02-26-2007, 08:46 PM

Thank you for all of the replies. Rainshaker mentioned braided leaders by Orvis.
I've read a little bit on furled and braided leaders I understand that they are two different animals. I don't know the actual difference.

I started fishing with furled leaders about two years ago and I will never go back to just a regular tapered leader. One suggestion about spooking the fish is to tie on a longer tippet. I was using a 7' furled and tied on approximately 4' of tippet.
Now, when you have the luxury of fishing larger streams, that is possible to do. But when fishing canopied streams in the mountains, we can't always use such long setups. My experience with the furled leaders is they lay down very gently on the water and I haven't had the trouble of spooking fish.

One thing to keep in mind is when we aim at a spot on the water to cast to, don't point the rod tip at the exact spot, but at a spot about chest high directly above our intended target. If we aim directly at the intended target, our line will kind of 'crash' into the water. Aiming directly above it will help lay the line, leader and tippet down gently...therefore not as much water disturbance and as a result, less spooked fish.

Thank you Paula and Byron for being such wonderful proprietors of such a great , respectable and enjoyable fly shop.

Any chance of putting more of your inventory on the online catalog? Personally I'd be interested in rod building related materials and components.

Thanks again to all who replied.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Post Byron, Byron, Byron...

It's a good thing that Paula reads your posts!

I almost bought that last one that Paula sold. And, if you read my reply to your "Fishing Sunday, 2/25/07" post, you know I'm in the market for a new one.

So if Daniel's ordering, throw another furled leader on the barbie... preferably in the light weight.

Oh, and Paula asked me if I thought they held water as opposed to plain tapered leaders. Having given that one a pretty good test drive on the HI and the Middle Prong, I'd say they don't. From what I've read, "braided" leaders soak up water, but "furled" leaders don't.

Gerry
Old 02-27-2007, 01:06 AM

I have found that as soon as I pick the furled leader off of the water and at the back of the first back cast all of the water is pretty much gone from a furled leader.

I'll have to call the shop and ask what lengths and weights they carry. Any idea what brand they carry?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

The one I got was just called, "THE FLY FISHER'S FURLED TROUT LEADER". The package says it's handmede in Olympia, Washington. LRO had three different display hooks on the peg wall and this one was in the middle. It was a Size 3, 9 ft., Light Olive. Daniel's pretty quick so I'd say he'll have them back in stock in about a week.

Gerry