Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 02-26-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Nantahala

Short report on the Nantahala...

Fished it Sunday. No hatches to mention besides the constant hatch of #126 midges in ...well, I dunno what color they were cause you could hardly see em. ...didn't even see a BWO. A little odd, but oh well. Caught 7 decent Nantahala rainbows on an olive bwo nymph pattern, the usual stuff - gold bead, green thread body, peacock herl at the bead, yadda, yadda, yadda...then caught one brookie on a #22 white and black midge in the long bridge pool where they're always rising near the log...you know the one, just down from the waterfall pools. Oh, there's also a big one in there that's already converted from "stupid stocker" to " savy salmo " and he rejected me from about 3 mm away five or six times - enough to give a fellar a heart attack!
Anyway ....that was about it..then Sunday it was blown out - totally muddy. Just rode around doing some sightseeing and runnning across some nice wild water in the process that I'll try sometime in April or May perhaps.

Didn't see Dancing Bear's truck. There were only about a half-dozen folks fishing it - least I've ever seen on a pretty Saturday.....but the fishing was a little slow, and the stocking will start up again next month, so the crowds will be back then, I'm sure. But, the hatches will start up and the fish will be taking dries with sheer stupidity for a while.

I did see either a muskrat or a small otter or something. Looked like an otter but it had a bushy tail? Anyone know what it was? Wasn't a mink - it was probably a good 18 inches long and more stout and stumpy than a mink.

Hope you guys had some luck in the Park if you went.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:38 PM

Hey Fishlicker, I think I saw you on my way out about 3:00. By the time I realized it was too late to pull off. It was slow for me too. Everything I caught was on a #18 pheasent tail. It was a beauteful day up there. It felt good just to get out. I'll be back up in a couple of weeks. I also thought it was a slim crowd for such a nice day out.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:28 AM

Do you either of you guys live over this way? Im always hunting somebdy to fish with
Old 02-28-2007, 07:46 AM

I live near Cartersville, GA but I fish the Nantahala a good bit during DH. I haven't gotten to much this year because of "grown up stuff" like remodeling bathrooms, sick mom, etc. I'm game to hook up and do some fishing.