Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-27-2007, 12:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Post Stirring the pot at the Clinch

I'm not really intending to stir the pot here although I'm sure for some folks this will.

Just something I was thinking about when I read the phrase "combat fishing" in a thread on the Hiwassee. I've seen combat fishing on the S. Holston, the Hiwassee and the Clinch. Now, mind you, I've only made one trip to the Hi, but from what I saw there that one time, and compared to the Clinch and SoHo, I have an observation.

IMHO, there appears to be more spin/bait fishing going on at the Clinch than the other two.

I've fished the Clinch at and above the weir, at and below Miller's Island, and behind the jail. At each of these locations - no matter what day of the week or time of day - I've always felt "outnumbered" for lack of a better word.

Is it just me?

Gerry
Old 02-27-2007, 11:25 AM

Can you imagine what our license would cost w/o the spinning guys?

Grumpy
Old 02-27-2007, 01:16 PM

Talking Tackle preference

I really don't care what kind of tackle they use, I just wish they would throw back some fish. There are very liberal regs on the Clinch and enforcement is non-existent. I rarely fish the Clinch anymore for this reason. That river has such good carrying capacity,(ability to grow fish quickly) it is a shame that some sort of slot limit cannot be instated and enforced. The boost to the local economy could be good (I think). This is an old smelly can of worms though, and this is about I will say about it. I will go back (with some regularity) a year after they install some decent regs on the river. I know there will be some good fish that quick. It is just a "put and take" fishery now. If it were changed to a "put-grow and take" fishery it would improve greatly. (in my humble opinion).
Tight lines,
John
Old 02-27-2007, 02:17 PM

Just to clear you up on some stuff, carrying capacity is not which the rate that how fast fish or fish populations can grow in the enviroment, it is on which the maximum number in a population of an organism can be supported in that enviroment. And yes some sort of regulations need to be inforced, look what they have done for the Little Red River in Arkansas. Thats probably one of my most favorite places to fish and arkansas is full of Spin Fisherman!
Old 02-27-2007, 02:35 PM

My biggest gripe with spin casters is that if I happen to find a good hole at the Clinch, they feel it necessary to march right over and cast on top of me. I'm not big on semeone poaching my space. At least the majority of fly casters respect at least casting distance if not a little more. I do agree with better, heck, at least SOME limit enforcement. Too many times I've watched guys waddle to their ride with 20-30 fish crammed in their waders. I'm with Jswitow, I try not to go there much anymore.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Now you've done it......................

Boys,
RW's gonna get you on that C&R stuff and regs. talk!

I personally don't mind how you catch em, just observe the limit...........But then which one of us drives the speed limit on the way to the Clinch....so, if there is NO chance of getting "pinched" (term my great friend in Maine uses for getting caught by game and fish), then why worry. Fill up the coolers boys! Wouldn't you love to see TN put an undercover agent up there some weekend that got to fish all day and write ticket after ticket like I saw in PA one day. Hmmmm ..maybe when I get to retire I will offer my services!

Personally, when I am around this behavior I like to talk to my buddy in a louder than usual voice about the increase risk of testicular cancer in people who eat fish from tailwaters, throwing in some profound BS for fun about the sediment from the lakes etc., special acid released from the scuds causing this phenomenon.

The Little Red is a special place UTK. Have you fished below North Fork and done the slam...bow, brown, cutt, and brook? Special regs work for all, not just the flyfisherman.

Flat Fly'n
Old 02-27-2007, 07:07 PM

Iv never fished it, I have landed the hat trick though on the little red.....Bow Brown and a Brook (and all nice ones at that). And yes i have also noticed that spin fisherman sort of seem to throw right up on you at the weir dam, They seem to think that fishing tip to tip is fine.........I actually have just gotten back from fishing a beautiful day at the Clinch. Landed 4, and actually caught some that put a nice bend in the rod.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Y'all seem to be coming down hard on the need for regs and/or enforcement on the Clinch and I understand that... I've read all that here already.

What I was asking is: Is it just my imagination or is the Clinch fished more heavily by bait/spin fishermen than other tailwaters around here?? And, if so, why do you think that is? I mean the SoHo is just about as easy to access as the Clinch - the HI maybe not as easy. Does public convenience have anything to do with the equation? Has TWRA just made it far too easy to abuse the system on the Clinch... or am I just really off the mark here?

That's always a possibility!

Gerry
Old 02-27-2007, 08:55 PM

gerry; i was fishing the s holston yesterday 2 bait fisherman were fishing around me and culling fish from their stringers . reason i say bait they had small minow cans dangling in the water.bait fishing is not only limited to the clinch spend more time on the other rivers you will see. clinch is just closer to a larger population so you notice more there. it is still legal to bait fishing . i would like a slot size imposed on tailwaters with enforcment by twra. but until proper enforcment, it doen't matter the regs. are.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Romer View Post
What I was asking is: Is it just my imagination or is the Clinch fished more heavily by bait/spin fishermen than other tailwaters around here??
I have only fished the Clinch once so I guess I cannot probably accurately compare the two. However, everytime I fish the Hiwassee, I see a LOT of spin fisherman. Based on my only experience on the Clinch, I would say the two are fairly comparable in terms of percentage/numbers of bait fisherman. The one time I was on the SoHo there were a bunch of guys with spinning gear as well...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com