Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-27-2007, 07:23 AM

Wink New legal Tubing Hours

New park hours for tubing: 11:55 AM until 12:05 PM. Violations of this 10 minute window punishable by tube puncture and confiscation of any footwear.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:56 AM

I second that motion......all in favor signify by "YEA"........all opposed, ehhh that vote won't count...... ;-)

buckeye
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 02-27-2007, 08:40 AM

I was all excited when I read the subject line of your post.

I laughed at the idea of someone's tube being punctured and sandals being confiscated.

And then the disappointment set in...
Old 02-27-2007, 09:21 AM

At least the water isn't deep enough for jet skis...
Old 02-27-2007, 11:12 AM

Default what an idea

Ya know...I wonder if this has ever actually been considered. It's really not such a bad idea. Sometimes you gotta get creative when managing multi-constituency resources. 'course that may also mean windows for fishing too.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:13 PM

although it wouldn't be a permanent solution to the tubing epidemic, my idea is to sell a very expensive "Tuber's daily usage license" issued by the state. As anglers, we have to buy an annual license to be able to use the state's fisheries, so it only makes sense that tubers also be taxed on their recreation time.

Don't get me wrong, I selfishly prefer the 10 minute tubing window law, but by issuance of an annual license the tubers also earn the burden of being policed. I'm thinking some sort of temporary check point at the Y that would cause a large traffic jam and hopefully discourage all tubing activities on the Little River.

Think about it.... with enough legislative support of the idea, we can start a grassroots campaign to make recreational tubes the new cigarettes (i.e. tax them out of existance)The first step is to make a case for how unsafe the standard recreational tube is for children, followed by statistcal information on tubing-related accidents.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:12 PM

Or we can just throw rocks at them
Old 02-27-2007, 10:48 PM

Hey Thunderhead8,

I nominate you as the spokesman for "Global Tubing" and it's impact on the environment and fisheries. Who knows, maybe you'll win an Oscar too?

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-28-2007, 10:26 AM

Forget about legislation....this is a federal issue.....not enough money for the Park and its rangers as it is.....would think the rental companies would actually have to come into the park to be affected....kinda like the ferry across Fontana....operating in the park equals insurance coverage which means higher rates....always amazes me how small a stream these people will try to tube in....
Old 02-28-2007, 10:30 AM

Tubing could be considered child abuse. Think of the possible hazards; drowning, cut by rocks, blows to the head, etc. Then no one could allow a child, under age 18, to tube or to be in the company of a tuber. As a certified dangerous activity, it could be regulated (licensed) for those over 18 but only after the prolonged environmental impact study which could take years.