Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 PM

Default First fish

We went to the Holston Saturday, after about three weeks of anticipation, and I got to wet the line on my fly rod for the first time. I decided to switch my fishing focus to the long rod when I moved here from Florida a year ago. I have since been somewhat obsessed with catching fish on fly, but have only managed a 4"er by accident on a guided trip. Anyway, we got out there, it was a really nice day, about 56 degrees, and minimal clouds. I waded out there and realized that this was a lot different than grass. I pulled some line out and started flipping it a bit to get some distance. I hit a shoal with a Tan EHC and a BHPH dropper. I fished this for about 15 minutes and decided that I scared everything off, so I moved up about 30 yards to another pool on the other side of the river. I got a face full of line when I cast into the wind, and spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out where my leader had actually wrapped around the line and rod. After that mess, I waded up a bit and cast down wind, down stream, and tryed to float up to some faster moving water. By now I'd been fishing about an hour. My buddy told me to walk up a bit to the next shoal, where he usually saw some guys fly-fishing. We went over there, I cast once or twice, then noticed ripples. Didn't mean much to me. Then another, and two more. Those were fish! Eating! Flies! I'd almost forgot what I was doin out there. I cast about a foot up stream of a fresh ripple, watched it float back for about 5 seconds, then boom! I forgot what I was doiing again. The strike came and went, and I just stood there, and tried to set the hook about 2 seconds too late. Not the next time, man did I stare at that fly. I kinda got dizzy. That fish slammed my ehc, the BH fell of somewhere in there, and I cranked back. What a feeling. I started pulling him in, and started slowing down a little bit so my buddy was sure to see (didn't want to hoot, ya know?). I had a messy pile of line floating down stream, and was a little confused what to do with it all, but then I bent down and plucked a 10-11" rainbow out of the cold water. I pulled my hemostats off my waders, slid the hook out, a little kiss maybe and sent him back. Just as quickly as they turned on they turned right back off again, at least for what I what throwing at them. No more fish, but dang if I didn't stand in that river till the water forced me out. I'm hooked.
Pat
Old 02-27-2007, 09:25 PM

on a side note, yes I did just say "I'm hooked". I may just be the funniest man alive.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:41 PM

Congrats on your first fish!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Hard to top that first-fish-on-a-fly feeling!! Strange thing is your 50th, 500th,5000th... all feel pretty much like that too. But that first one really is something special.

Congrats!!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:50 PM

Congrats! I have a feeling we'll be hearing more stories like this one from you.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:24 PM

There are many great and exciting things in life- this is one of the best, if not the best!!

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-27-2007, 10:53 PM

Way to go. Nothing like the first fish but every fish on a fly is great.

Patrick
Old 02-28-2007, 01:02 PM

Default first on a fly

Congrats on the first fly rod fish. Your enthusiasm definitely reminded me of myself when I caught my first years ago. I recommend that you keep a journal of all your fishing excursions. Record the basic things like date, river , weather conditions and water temps, flies used and fish caught. I started doing this a few years ago but I wish I had when I originally began flyfishing. You can look back over time and see how you've progressed as an angler and see what has worked and not worked at various times. You spend more time catching rather than searching. Not that searching is not a reward in itself!

Last edited by Troutman; 02-28-2007 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Edit
Old 02-28-2007, 05:40 PM

Congrats on your first fish. Now that you're hooked, wait until you start tying flies and then catch your first fish on a fly that you tied. NOTHING beats that!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:01 PM

Pat, Congrats on the fish- that story brings back very vivid memories to me- the whole image of the line going everywhere downstream to the 'o crap WHATTA I DO ?!?!' That's great!