Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-28-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Fishing the Tellico River

A group of 4 of us are heading to the Tellico tomorrow night for 3 days of fishing. Based on the weather forecast, it looks like the weather Friday,Saturday, and Sunday will be nice. The problem is that we are supposed to get close to an inch of rain tomorrow. We are wanting to fish the Tellico,Bald, and the North River. With 1 inch set for tomorrow, what are the chances for fishing Friday and Saturday. Does anyone know if one of the 3 rivers can handle that much rain. Coming from North Carolina, any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Also, is there a river nearby that acts like the Holston where the water is on a released system. This is our first trip of the year and we want to find fishable water even if it means driving to find it. Thanks again for any information one can give thanks.
Mike
Old 02-28-2007, 01:47 PM

You can always go farther south down Hwy 411 to the Hiwassee. The fishing reports from there have been fairly good lately and with so much easy access to the river, don't limit yourself to combat fishing at the powerhouse.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:48 PM

Tellico stream gauge info:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?s...cd=00060,00065

If we get 1" rain on Thursday, it will probably be Sunday before water clears and recedes to safe wading conditions below Tellico / North River confluence. Best bet would be to fish the upper reaches from the hatchery to the NC state line. Bald, Sycamore and North recede more quickly than the main river.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:57 PM

How far of drive is the Hiwassee from Tellico Plains?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:30 PM

I backcountry fished the Bald above the falls this past fall and oddly enough, did not see a single trout all weekend!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:30 PM

Default directions to HI

Mike, I went to Google maps and put in driving directions from Tellico Plains, TN to Reliance,TN.
It shows a shorter route from tellico Plains at 20.1 miles or about 36 min. If you drive back to Madisonville and then south on 411 I guess it would take maybe an hour.
There are campgrounds available at Hiwassee Outfitters and they have a website with info and directions. I feel sure others on here with be able to give better info. for you but you will enjoy fishing this river. It is in the Cherokee Nat. Forest and is a very nice river to spend a day or 3 on.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:42 PM

Mike, If they get 1" of rain tomorrow I think the North would be fine by Fri. The last time I fished down there during rain was last May. It rained pretty good all day. We went over to the Bald just past Holly Flats & it was at best fishable, but swift and muddy. We then went back over towards the North and fished it with no problem from NR campground up. I am actually heading down there this weekend myself and if the scenerio with the weather holds true I would definately plan on fishing the North on Fri, then maybe checking out the Bald & Tellico on Sat & Sun (I am going to try to check out the Citico side). I'll be in a grey Tacoma with a GSMNP tag. If you see me stop by & say hello. Good luck!

Last edited by budman; 02-28-2007 at 07:09 PM..
Old 02-28-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Rain, Tellico etc

I've seen the North come back down to fishable levels the morning after a good rain.

sb
Old 02-28-2007, 08:30 PM

The Hiwassee is around a half an hour from Tellico Plains and can make for a good morning/afternoon change of pace. I've fished the Tellico area during the day and then hit the evening hatch on the Hiwassee fairly often. If you get a chance, definately try out the Hiwassee. It is fishing very well right now. Today there were good numbers of little black stoneflies hatching along with plenty of midges and I think I even saw a big mayfly!!!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-01-2007, 09:16 AM

If they haven't done any improvements on the campground at Hi Outfitters, i'd suggest Gee Creek campground.
I agree with the other's, the water will drop out faster at higher elevations, i was up there last weekend, the water wasn't all that high to begin with.

Grumpy