Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 11-26-2006, 10:08 PM

Default Carp Fishing

I know that several of you MB posters like to occasionaly FF for Carp. I like to also. I was wondering what is the best Fly to use for them when they are not actively feeding? I usually go with the standard black or brown bugger but have caught them by accident with a small white wooly bugger when fishing for Smallies. I know some people like to chum them up to the top with popcorn over on the TN river in Knoxville but those fish are used to being fed. I starting thinking about them again after viewing the new Carp photo by Bob Clouser on the WW pict board. They sure are fun to catch even if they aren't much to look at.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Carp Fishing

G if they are not feeding try an M-80! No, I don't know what is better than the olive bugger in about a size 10. Been up Sam's Creek lately?
Best,
John
Old 12-02-2006, 10:43 PM

when I ride my bike on third creek greenway, I often see carp the size of my leg hovering near the surface. I've contemplated throwing a fly to them before, but I'm afraid to touch that water. there are signs all along third creek that say something along the lines of "biohazard". plus the creek smells horrendous. like there's dead bodies in there .... in fact, I think they actually do find a dead body or two in there every so often. about 50 yards down, the creek empties into the tennessee river. on any given day you can find 3-4 people fishing. I bet they're down there catching some of those polluted carp! eeewwwww! that being said, I think I might give it a whirl next summer.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:49 PM

speaking of popcorn, heres my chance to actually design an effective fly. the popcorn fly.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:11 PM

Where is third creek greenway, ttas67? UT drops bodies somewhere along the Tennessee river for their forensic science students.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:19 PM

I believe the popcorn fly has already been invented. There used to be a couple of guys who worked at the Creel in Knoxville that would take a john boat down along Calhouns on the TN river and catch some very large carp with it. It is a very simple pattern but spinning deer hair is difficult for me. Take some dyed yellow deer or elk hair and spin it on the hook like you would for a muddler minnow or bass popper and trim it to shape. Thats it. You can make a breadfly by using white deer hair also just trim it into a flat shape. I am looking for a good pattern to use on carp in the rivers when they are not rooting around and actively feeding. Carp can be very hard to catch. Anybody care to share some secrets?
Old 12-03-2006, 07:39 PM

I access the greenway at sutherland ave. it runs through tyson park and down by the rugby field, by ut's ag campus around the trial gardens where it dumps into the river. the body farm would be on down the river some, around ut hospital I think. as far as a popcorn imitation, I don't tie flies (yet) but I was thinking elk hair spun and trimmed down to an irregular shape would do great. but I guess they already did it! but in all seriousness, I understand people were catching them on cicada patterns during the massive cicada hatch a couple years ago. that's only every so many years though. I bet they'd eat a san juan worm.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:49 PM

I will get you a pic of the fly they use back here in Ohio. They tie them up to look like a mulberry and the carp seem to love them. Try www.madriveroutfitters.com
Brian up there has even taken Flip Pallot to a few lakes in souther Ohio and used this pattern for carp.....

they are a blast on fly rods......

buckeyetrouter
8-)Go Bucks [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 12-12-2006, 01:21 AM

hey, you better watch that buckeye talk here in vol country.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:11 AM

Thanks Buckeyetrouter for the post on carp patterns. I will have to try some of them next year. Most of the patterns look good for Smallies also!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Troutman