Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-03-2007, 08:30 PM

Default Tough Day on The HI

Well, took my buddy Greg to the HI today. I have to admit with my experience I should have checked the weather report better and I also managed to forget that we got heavy rains from a few days ago which stained the water pretty bad. This doesn't affect the fishing in a bad way but it does limit you move ability since you don't know how deep of a hole you step in when the water is murky. Needless to say we are wore out and sore when I write this. Then on top of all this the wind managed to make it almost impossible to fish. Sounds like I'm complaining. Not really but a difficult day for us, and especially when you take someone new to the sport under these conditions. Anyway, we did okay. Greg caught two fish on his first real day of fly fishing. I have to say that is not bad at all. I managed to catch 3 bows and 1 brown today. We got them all on fairly large BH Princes in size 12. Water temp was right at fifty degrees. We fished from 7 am until about 10 am and then for about an hour or so between 2 pm and 3 pm. All the other time in between we were bushwhacking and wading in spots deeper than we should have done. Oh well, we get them next time.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:51 PM

hans, I was there with kevin today, man was it tough. it was my first time fishing the HI. I did manage to catch what I think was a 6" shad on a BHPT. the wind was crazy. I saw lots of bug activity, but only one rise. ran into a small snake (guess they're out again). after fishing with high wind and no luck, we headed for some bbq sandwiches, then went up to the "dam" or whatever that thing is, its not a dam, that's for sure. we fished again with no success until kevin tied on a black wooly bugger and started wearing them out. he gave me one and I fished it for about 20 minutes with no luck. I was going to walk on down stream so I grabbed the bugger and was going to hook it onto the guide of my rod. that's when I discovered THERE WAS NO HOOK ON IT! the whole bend of the hook was gone. now, did I lose it while fishing? I don't think so. Well, even though I only caught a shad today, it was a good time still, and I got to explore a new river. I'll definitely be going back sometime soon.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:12 PM

Yeah, it's just bad luck, the HI is normally a prime fishery and would have been so today if it hadn't been such a high water level and stained, plus that wind. Fish it in April and May and you will be hooked for life. I'm hoping the next week's weather will be warm so I can start hitting the Smokies. Hope to see you on the stream sometime.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:21 PM

Yep, that wind was unreal! But, I'm super excited about adding a new skill to my fishing techniques. I've never caught a fish by stripping a streamer until today. I had a double midge dropper deal going with zero action. I was in a good spot, that I knew held fish (Thanks PA). So I ditched the midges and tied on a black booger with two split shot. Threw it and let it swing down stream, after a good pause I started working it back towards me. I was told the best way to do this was to put the tip down and point it right at the line. Unfortunately this does not allow much forgiveness when you get a strike and 6X tippet breaks pretty easy. First strike was powerful and broke off immediately. Chopped off the 6X and reloaded with 5X Frogs Hair and a fresh booger setup. This time when stripping a had the rod 1/4'ed off to the side for some give on the strike and whammo, fish on. Caught two then broke off my second booger. Tried a big heavy stone and got strikes, but it wasn't the same. Built some serious confidence in the new skill though. It will be deadly when conditions pick up. Had a good time, here are some pics...

Last edited by Kevin_Thomas; 03-03-2007 at 11:58 PM..
Old 03-04-2007, 01:11 AM

What a Day!
Iíve run the HI in kayaks before, but this was my first fishing trip there. It started with a beautiful sunrise and a couple of bows early on and the then water started to rise a bit. Wading was rough at times and one obtains a new perspective when wading the HI versus riding on top.
Hans was great at guiding us out safely and provided me with great tips on dealing with conditions such as these that we faced today. The afternoon was windy indeed but Hans was still able to snag two so all was not lost.
My spirits are not dampened and Iíll definitely be back for more.

This beats any day at the office.
The BBQ was also tasty after our expedition around the high water and it was nice to see a familiar face!

Time for some R&R.
Greg
Old 03-04-2007, 01:33 PM

Unhappy re: rough day on the HI

I may have spoken to one of you guys yesterday...

I was fishing at the parking area (forget the name) and told another angler I had only been there a few minutes and hadn't seen any action.

Sadly, that trend continued for the rest of the day, as I moved up stream. I tried midges, Black Wooly, BHPT as well as Brown Stones and there just wasn't any action. Like someone said earlier, it was difficult wading overall, and the only fish I saw was a little sculpin that I was trying to imitate. Congrats to you who got one or two.... its well deserved.

Last edited by rainshaker; 03-04-2007 at 01:52 PM..
Old 03-04-2007, 02:02 PM

Rainshaker!

I don't know if we met yesterday or not but It was definitely not easy. The fish was taking with gusto but you had to find a hole or a 30 second window where the wind wasn't blowing 35mph. If you weren't able to find that it was tough.

Greg and Kevin:

It will only get better from here. The HI is prime in about another month. Little River, Abrams, Bradley, Deep Creek, Cattaloochee etc, etc, is only now beginning to pick up. Mark your calendars for some prime time. I just hope we get some warmer weather this coming week.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:09 PM

Glad ya'll were able to get out and catch a few even though things were tough. I'm disappointed because this last system that came through dropped too much rain around Center Hill lake and so they're running generators around the clock again... I think I'll just have to go down to the Hiwassee this week to get some fishing in...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-04-2007, 06:05 PM

Friday the wind was blowing pretty hard, but it was nothing like what it was doing on Saturday. I was getting pretty frustrated with it while fishing the HI Friday, but managed to have a successful day still. When I got home I told my wife all about the days events and how frustrating the wind was. When we went left for the grocery store Saturday around noon, she stopped and said "I bet you are glad you are not on the Hiwassee today now aren't you". I knew that a large group from the board was heading down on Saturday, and I was just hoping the wind was not as bad down there as it was in Knoxville. Apparently it was though. It is good to hear that some managed to develop new skills along with landing some fish. That is always a plus, taking advantage of bad weather to develop one's fishing repertoire.

Travis
Old 03-04-2007, 07:13 PM

rainshaker, that was me you spoke with I believe. that was a nice looking stretch you were fishing.