Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 03-03-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Curtis Creek

Hello all, decided yesterday that i was going fishing and was planning on hitting some wild water, but my friend and avid fisherman (just not fly) wanted to give fly fishing a try so i decided we would hit some dh water so we ended up at curtis creek.

After our mandatory stop at mcdonalds for a mcgriddle and a coffee, we arrived pretty early, about 7. We fished a section that was a little bit away from the road and didn't have any luck. We kept trying and trying but nothing and i was beginning to wonder if all the fish hadn't been yanked out of there already. We moved downstream a little ways and come to a few nice looking pools that were, coincidentally Wink, close to the road. I was trying to show him the ropes and almost immediately he hooked into a fairly nice brookie. We fished these few holes for a bit and found out that there were fish there after all! We probably caught 6 fish until we decided to hop in the car, warm up (it was cold this morning!!!!), and head upstream. By this time the sun was raining down on us and it was warming up nicely and my friend was pulling in the fish left and right. He has a good knack for fly fishing and other than a few casting tips, i just kinda pointed him in the right direction and he did the rest. We fished this section a little while before we went back downstream and ended up the day there. He ended up with two really nice fish and all together, we probably caught 35-40. I was catching all my fish on a tandem nymph set up using a crow fly and a smbsh, once again proving that the smbsh is a trout slayer no matter the time of year, even when you don't expect it. It was a great day, although i have to admit it's not quite as fun as those wild streams i love to frequent. These fish were definitely on steroids <insert barry bonds joke here>, but those wild fish really get my heart racing. I can't wait to get back to the smokies and spend all day trying to catch 7" fish, haha.

Anyways, here are a few of the better pics, including the two pigs that my friend caught. Never been fly fishing before and he flat out embarassed me! Good thing i was showing him what to do all day or i would have had to show him how it was done..........................

Craig

Nice, fat brookie

Nice rainbow that nailed my fly out of the whitewater behind me

Here's the hog of the day that got me a free supper, big fish of the day pays, or at least that's the rule i came up with after he pulled this one in!!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:00 PM

Almost forgot, i saw some bugs flying around and they appeared to be quill gordons. I tried a few flies to try and imitate them but no luck, but during the middle of the day there was a pretty big hatch of them going on. The water was in the mid 40's, but there were bugs flying everywhere! Springs almost here.

Craig
Old 03-03-2007, 09:30 PM

Smile Curtis Creek

Craig, it looks like you and your friend did yourself proud. Congratulations to you and a newly hooked flyfisherman. Those are some nice looking brookies. I'm glad that you had some decent weather over on that side of the mountain. It has blown like a hurricane here in East Tenn. most of the day. It's good to hear that some bugs are hatching also. Spring's just got to be around the corner. Thanks for the great report.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:32 PM

Awesome looking stream! Would have loved to have gone today also, but the new little one takes priority...Great pictures and report!
Old 03-06-2007, 05:15 PM

Wow for the fish and the water! That's my kinda water...rocky and on the smallish side( or so it seemed). I'm sure he's hooked for good now....and that big fish buys dinner thing is a GREAT IDEA! I'd NEVER have to pay.

Thanks for the pics....those big brookies made me smile.