Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-04-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Jetboil PCS and water purifier

Hello all, i am looking at getting a stove for backpacking/day trip use and found the jetboil pcs system and was wondering if anyone has used it? It looks really nice and seems like it would work well.

Also, i am also thinking of getting a water purifier, but i have no clue where to start looking. Does anyone know of any kind or could kind of point me in the right direction? I don't really know anything about them so i don't want to make an impulse, uneducated decision on one. Thanks alot and have a great day.

Craig
Old 03-04-2007, 09:16 PM

I can't really help on the Jetboil from personal experience but a backpacking buddy of mine uses it when we go and likes his a lot. I've been looking at good camp stoves for awhile myself. I would look into some of the stoves that MSR makes also before you buy...

About the water filter, I got the Miniworks EX from MSR and it does a great job. Katadyn makes some good filters as well. Another friend of mine had one of the Katadyn filters on a canoe trip this summer and it did exceptionally well. It actually had an advantage over my MSR filter in that it maintained a good flow rate for longer periods in between filter cleanings...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-04-2007, 09:38 PM

Do you know which katadyn it was? I was looking online today and had basically boiled it down between the msr and katadyn pumps just by glancing at them, but again, i don't really know that much about it. I think the katadyn that i was looking at specifically was the vario.

I did look at the msr stoves as well. To me, the jetboil just seems a little easier to use. I also like the fact that everything can go inside the cup for storage.

Thanks alot for your help, i really appreciate it.

Craig
Old 03-04-2007, 09:44 PM

The Jetboil system is great. I can easily recommend it. Had mine for a little over a year now, never had any problems. I have the one liter pot (mug). Heats up real quick...cup of hot chocolate takes less than a minute. I'm still on my first fuel canister. Very compact and convenient.

MSR just came out with a new system called the Reactor. It costs about twice as much as the Jetboil though. IMO anything that heats up quicker than the jetboil is overkill.

Not sure about filters. I've been looking at the MSR MIOX. I need to get something before summer rolls around.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:30 PM

I also looked at the miox as well. It just seems a little too pricey for me, i'm not really looking to spend $130 on one. Neat concept, although i wonder how the battery power would hold up....... I don't mind pumping, i just want a good, quality filter.

Craig
Old 03-04-2007, 10:36 PM

Hey mtnman2888,

I think the determining factor for stoves will depend on how much you like to spend eat,cook and if you will do alot of winter hiking.

If you are a big eater,cook alot,or spend alot of time at cold temps you can't go wrong with the MSR pocket rocket, Jetboil or whisperlite. They have minimal weight,packability and boiltimes. If you are only looking for something to heat water for coffee,and to make premade meals(ramen,lipton noodles etc..) an alcohol stove will work fine in most cases(It's all I use) and I do alot of hiking and backcountry camping. I guess it really comes down to cost,personal choice and style.

Water Filters:

Most of the filters discussed so far do about the same thing. They filter bacteria, giardia and crypto. Again price will come into play and how fast you want to filter water. Most discussed will filter from 2/3 liter per minute to 2.5-3 LPM. Look and compare what works best for you..

Good luck on your search and see you on the stream Mark....

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 03-04-2007, 11:15 PM

Hello mtnman2888,

A little farther down the page in the "Tackle and Gear" section is a thread titled "drinking water". It has several opinions on water purification. I don't have any first hand experience with them but I am considering making a purchase.

I have limited experience with backpacking type stoves so I can't give much of an opinion on what is best. I have built 3 of the alcohol stoves DryFly1 wrote about. They are cheap, lightweight, and heat very quickly. If you smash it you are out about 30 minutes time and noting in cost, assuming you drink soda from a can.

Wishin' I wuz fishin', g <*))))><
Old 03-04-2007, 11:42 PM

The Katadyn filter my friend had was the Hiker Microfilter...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-05-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Filtering

I have the Katadyn Hiker Pro. It does a great job at filtering and I can filter right into a water bottle. But, it is a bit cumbersome and heavy so unless I'm doing some serious backpacking I leave it with my backpacking gear. Then I take along an extra water bottle and Katadyn Micropur purification tablets (with some Jelly Belly sports beans just to be on the safe side.)

Dude
Old 03-05-2007, 09:25 PM

Well let me just ask y'all then, fellow fly fisherman. I will mainly be using it for cooking purposes on mostly day hikes with the occasional overnighter. I will be in situations where, honestly, i won't need THAT much water, but then again i don't want to carry around another bottle in my pack. I don't know, maybe i'm looking in the wrong area.........

Just ordered the jetboil though and hope to use it this weekend!

Craig