Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-04-2007, 09:43 PM

Default Cold day on the Little River

After a quick stop at LRO to pick up my new license I headed to the LR below the sinks. Water temps were just barely into the 40s and rather than working nymphs through the deeper holes I decided in the interest in keeping moving and (hopefully) staying warm, I would tie on a pair of soft hackles and swing through the shallow rapids moving fairly quickly down stream. While it wasn't a banner day, I did pick up 3 rainbows over the course of a couple of hours and missed several others. Every now and then I make it a point to employ the down and across wet fly approach and it always makes me wonder why I don't do it a little more. I am also always amazed at the fact that I pick up fish holding in shallow little riffles that I normally would not otherwise fish. Not the way I would fish during a hatch, but when I am out to relax and pick up a fish or two it's a pretty solid technique on the LR.

46r
Old 03-04-2007, 09:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Given the weather and water conditions, I'd say you did real good. Thanks for the encouraging report!

Gerry
Old 03-04-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Well done!

I hope to be hiring Mr Hartsell in May to help me with some softhackle techniques. I'm looking forward to trying this in the future!

Kevin
Old 03-04-2007, 11:05 PM

Hey adirondack46,
Good job! I think you have just learned and employed a deadly secret! As Mtnman always says,those soft hackles,especially the SMBBSH, is a "Trout Slayer!" if used correctly...

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 03-05-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly1 View Post
Hey adirondack46,
...As Mtnman always says,those soft hackles,especially the SMBBSH, is a "Trout Slayer!" if used correctly...
SMBBSH? Smoky Mountain something something Soft Hackle?? Got a recipe?
Old 03-05-2007, 02:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

smoky mountain bead butted soft hackle......famous upside down fly
Old 03-05-2007, 06:40 PM

I had a similar day. I missed two fish in about 2 hours of fishing. One hit a Tellico nymph and I had him on for one( rather weak, but strong enough I guess) headshake, and the other hit a black stonefly #16 as I was raising it up in the end of a run. You know, just before it would have gone over the rock, I raise it up, it swings over, hangs there....and I start to turn and walk upstream a few steps and wham-giggy-giggy-rattle-pop......he's off. Felt like a baby trout anyway.
What was nice was waking up to snow Sunday morning, eating probably the best meal I've ever had anywhere around the park ( and in most of NC and north GA, as well) at Mrs. ( or is it Ms? ) Lilly's...

Folks, Townsend has a really nice place to get some wonderful food - roast chicken, pork loin, crabcakes and about a dozen other things, and the sweets they have will make you holler! Whhhoooooooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooo the food was out of this world!

Breakfast at the Apple-diner-thingy out towards Maryville( and spending a good solid hour trying to figure out where I was going to open my *insert business name here* place at, to no avail I'm sorry to say - dream,dream,dream ya know), a ride over the Foothills Parkway and the Dragon on the way home and a few hours of sleep before going back to work...

Fishing in 34 degrees and getting one hit an hour wasn't so hot, but it was better than a day at work and more fun than a poke in the eye anytime!

OH, and I almost forgot - asking the young man at the counter ( Joe I think?) if he knew where I could catch a few nice Flanker fish was worth the drive up there..or his response was anyway...he was super-nice and didn't look at me like I was too crazy, although I could see he was wondering if I was off( and run over by) my rocker! I couldn't hold a straight face though, thinking of you guys on here and I blew it by laughing as he asked me to repeat it by saying " A flanker fish? I don't think I know about those..." As always, they treat even us nuts like we're normal.

Paula, my wife said she saw a lady in the shop, and I'm guessing it was you or a customer - but I didn't see anyone but that skinny kid what takes pictures , flanker-joe, and a rather distinguished chap that seemed to be keeping the youngsters in line! Oh, and a furry thingy. That was put out before we could tell what it was...but I think it was a cat. I didn't know you could kick one that far.

KIDDING.

ANyway, you guys and Ms. Lilly's made our trip and we are thankful to you both. I've pleaded my case to come back next weekend and do it again, but there seems to be an issue with spending $150 every week going to the mountains. I told her moving there would cut fishing gas money and lodging way back and she said she was afraid she'd never see me anymore if we lived that close to the rivers and streams. Alas, I am stuck here in the big city and, though I don't deserve it, I'll take all the pity I can get. LOL

Hopefully, I'll see you again soon flanker-joe! Maybe I can take you to my favorite flankerfish stream. It's just a short, 15 mile hike from anywhere!
Old 03-05-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammcdonald View Post
smoky mountain bead butted soft hackle......famous upside down fly
Did you make that name up?

Do you have a picture or a recipe?

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:01 PM

It's the smoky mountain blackbird soft hackle, and it is deadly. It's primarily used starting about may until the first freeze. During this period it is absolutely fantastic, even outfishing the always reliable green weenie during it's prime. However, this winter i have tied it on during numerous occasions out of frustration because i couldn't get a bite and ended up catching fish on it even now. Here's a picture of the "trout slayer"..............

http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com...Softhackle.jpg

Craig
Old 03-05-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlicker View Post
Folks, Townsend has a really nice place to get some wonderful food - roast chicken, pork loin, crabcakes and about a dozen other things, and the sweets they have will make you holler! Whhhoooooooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooo the food was out of this world...
Hey fishlicker, I'm with you, Miss Lily's is a gem. And when I'm feeling a little less sophisticated I hit Dead Beat Pete's for burrito and a corona. Oh, and don't forget to grab a cup of that Vienna Coffee Company brew at Thunderhead Perk on your way to the stream. I do - nevermind that I have to peel my waders and find a private spot 30 minutes into my fishing. The coffee is worth it.