Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Drift Boat

Just received some plans for a drift boat I ordered. It is a MacKinzee (sp?) style boat built with epoxy and plywood and reinforced with fiberglass, about 11 foot with a motor well in the center. Have been excited about building it, BUT finding the right kind of plywood is proving to be difficult. There just dosen't seem to be anywhere around here (within 200 miles or so) to obtain said ply (okoume BS108. Any ideas?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:03 AM

AWITE, first things first, McKenzie, being the proud owner of it(you), that's how it's spelled
Most kits call for a 1/4-3/8" Marine grade plywood, some of your high end cabinet shops can get it, as well as large dstributors of specialty woods.
Heck any lumber distributor ought to be able to get it for ya, even if they don't stock it.
A friend of mine built a similar 15' boat, minus the motor thing, it's light & has held up very well. The one thing he didn't do was make the front & rear casting floors level, there is a slight grade there that is very uncomfortable over the course of a days fishing. He's planning on building a 16' later on with level casting floors front/rear, he really enjoyed building the first boat, it's low maintainance other than the wood gunnels & casting braces that require a little refinishing every few years.
Good luck with the boat.

Grumpy
Old 03-08-2007, 09:07 PM

I built one several years ago & probably will build a Montana Boat Builders kit later this year. Cleveland Plywood in Cleveland TN can order it for you! Ask for Tammy Rogers & ask bout ordering it. I did find it cheaper at some wood place in St Louis but w/ freight these days would drive the cost through the roof. If you are going to use it in tailraces such as Hiwassee I would urge you to consider magohaney marine grade instead of fir... will take blows much better!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 09:08 PM

BTW Cleveland Plywoods # is 423-472-3357
Old 03-09-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Drift Boat Help

I appreciate the lead on Cleveland Ply. I wanted to try to find a place I could drive to in an hour or two. Thanks for the other help also. From what I have read, the Okoume is also a hardwood and is also light. They say fir must be coated in fiberglass and tends to shirnk in the process. The BS1088 is a Ply spec from the UK