Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-06-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Hiwassee 3-6-07

Well it was an absolutely beautiful day to enjoy spring break on the HI today. I got there alittle after 8 and pretty much felt like I had the whole river to myself for most of the morning. I started out using a BWO with a BHPN as a dropper and brought a couple to hand. As the water began to drop after the two generators came on I moved close to the railroad side of the river where a big log is sticking into the water from the bank, its above the the rock wall a ways. Anyways in the middle of making a cast I saw what looked to be a really big fish chasing another really smaller fish. After watching the big fish dart back to the bottom after seeing me, I thought that I should switch to a streamer or something. Luckily I had bought a new copper zonker the last time I was at LRO last week or so. Anyway the first cast with the zonker tied on produced a hit, I didnt land it because I saw the fish coming and got jumpy and jerked too soon. Anyway that seemed to be the ticket because I probably brought close to 20+ fish to my hand with lots of short strikes or me getting jumpy and setting the hook too soon. I did notice that in really calm water that alot of fish would come up close to the fly only to turn around right before striking. But if there was alittle bit of current, man those fish would come from 10+ ft away and just hammer it. I worked my way all the way down to Fox's Cabin where I saw some really HUGE fish on the bottom. I couldnt tell what they were but they were BIG.

After having my fill of that I went looking for Platuea Angler and ttas67. I found them on the big shoals below Towee. After talking for awhile with them and finding out that me and ttas67 are in the same class at school(really small world) I headed up to the powerhouse while they headed to the trophy section. I ended up catching a really nice fish below the powerhouse and that pretty much ended a really good trip up there. I really hate living as far away as I do now from the HI because I am used to the 20 min drive and be fishing but it felt good getting back there.

I did try my new stove before I drove home to make a quick snack and let me tell you that I couldnt be happier. PA and ttas67 it was nice meeting you and I'm sorry that I couldnt join you on the trophy section, I bet it was a blast.

URL=http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2212410420098335993AzmZPC][/URL]
Old 03-06-2007, 11:26 PM

It was nice meeting you as well. We should have gone up to the powerhouse with you, that is a nice fish... I've been wanting to catch one of those fat ones up there but haven't yet...

Also, I'll send you a PM sometime tomorrow evening about Thursday...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-06-2007, 11:57 PM

Some nice fish there! Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like you all had a great time.

Oh, how I miss my spring break...
Old 03-07-2007, 02:17 AM

PA,
How did you guys do down at the trophy section?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:33 AM

PA and ttas67,
Please feel free to highjack the thread and let me know how you guys did and please post any pictures that you might have taken. Show everyone what they are missing!

Please dont forget to PM me because I'm dying to get away for a night atleast over my spring break.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:58 AM

well, it finally happened. I've been having dreams of dry flies dancing on the stream for the past few months. when PA and I arrived at our put in spot we saw a couple rises. there were some midges and possibly a stonefly or two coming off. hmmm ... I wasn't really sure what to tie on. I rooted around my fly box and found a fly that walter babb had created on the spot at his tying demo this year after someone had asked him to tie a tiny caddis that they could see. within the first few casts I had a fish on. I caught a couple more within the next few minutes. out nowhere little stoneflies started coming off like crazy and the fish were attacking them left and right. I immediately switched to a slightly larger black caddis and was getting a rise nearly every cast. matt (mmorgan135) showed up about that time and we talked as I missed and landed numerous fish. we found out that we have the same class and have actually been sitting right beside each other. how crazy is that? the pulse came through and we departed for another location down the river. after that it pretty much died off for a little while. then later we moved back up where PA angler caught a few more and I missed a few more rises to a #18 adams. It was a great day and a long sleepy drive home.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:20 PM

Hey mmorgan135,

Sounds like an awesome day! Great pics! My wife came up behind me last night as I was looking at the pics and said "Is that one of those stoves you always build "I said yes and she said "You guys need help!"

Good job man, glad you had a great day on the river..

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)