Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 03-20-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
The undersigned tyer does represent and warrant that the flies aforementioned, will, if throw with sufficient force and with the required amount of lack of planning, snag, inter alia, clothing, ears, hats, eyes, trees, children, cats, dogs.
This sounds fair....but I'd suggest adding the verbage"...ducks,tubes, tubers and or their navigators."
Old 03-20-2007, 04:06 PM

ok Midgeman....how 'bout I just take your word on it....lol...that was a great response though......

this is the first time tying the quill gordon but with the recipe on Mr Hartzel board I believe I can do a fair job.....and as you stated, maybe it won't come apart.......

looking forward to the exchange and even more exchanges....

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 03-20-2007, 04:46 PM

Default fly swap

buckeyetrouter, Hey don't forget to soak the quills before tying them on. The first time I tied a quill body I got very frustrated with them till I reread the instructions in a tying book.
I am going to hopefully start on the george nymphs tonight. I may tie one in the smaller standard size and the other in a larger Stonefly version if thats OK.
Hope you guys don't mind a little lead also.!!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:57 PM

talk to me Troutman....where is this book and is it available in broken english so I can understand it?? Truthfully, first time I heard 'bout soaking the hackle for the quill gordons.....but I am fairly new at tying dries.........

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 03-21-2007, 03:14 AM

submerge the quills for a minute of two before wrapping them on as a body. The moisture makes quills behave more like a piece of thread and less like a metal spring. Also, if you're using peacock, a little water allows one to strip-off the herl <the green stuff> with ease.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:37 AM

Default quill bodies and tying books

The only tying book I have is titled "The Art of Fly Tying" from the hunting and fishing library press. You may have seen this book at Kmart or Walmart in the sporting goods of all places. I was surprised when I found it there. It is Hardbound cover with spiraled pages with a picture of a Royal Wulff dry fly on the cover. It is very basic but has great pictures and explanations of procedures of different materials and types of flies. Once you learn the basic procedure on say tying a quill body then you use it on all the different quill body recipes. Same on tying parachutes or divided wings flies.
The quill,as rainshaker said, needs to be soaked in a glass of water for about a minute so it will bend around the hook without breaking. I use a pencil eraser to rub off the fibers on a peacock herl before the soaking. Tie in about one-third hookshank length from the bend and wrap forward. Wind stem back toward bend in an open spiral. Reverse direction and wrap forward in a tight spiral overlapping to form a smooth body profile that is tapered. You can apply some lacquer over the quill for durability.
Hope I didn't ramble on too much. I sat down and tied up about 15-16 george nymphs last night. Some are going in my flybox! They are much easier to tie than what several of the members are doing. Looking forward to getting everyones flies.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:34 PM

Man, I was just hoping that one of you all would agree and I could get my very first cane rod... oh, well.

On the book issue, the only book I have at present is the Fly Tying Bible or something along those lines. Not a bad book for beginners. Been looking for the Benchside book, but that is pretty pricey. So, for now, I find most of my information by picking the brains of you fine folks. I also love Craven's webpage (he has great suggestions and easy to follow instructions). I am a self-taught tyer so I use the internet quite a bit for me learnin'

Looking forward to getting these flies submitted to you all. THis weekend is my littlest daughters baptism, so I will be busy with that, but I plan on getting them out early next week.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:45 AM

Hey folks. Time got a way from me as work has been very crazy the last month. I will get my flies out by Friday if it isn't too much trouble. I am sorry about the delay, normally I try and get things done well in advance, but this time I think I bit off more than I can chew. Can you pm me the address to send the flies? I will be finishing them up this evening.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:50 AM

Default fly swap

Send Griff a PM and he will send you his addy. He extended the deadline to the 30th also.