Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-12-2007, 07:42 PM

Default March Brown rods????

Hello, has anyone had any experience with these? I have been kinda looking for a two weight and was thinking of getting a tfo finesse, but i have the opportunity to get a march brown hidden waters travel rod for an incredible price. It retails for almost $500 and i can get it at a fraction of that cost but i do not know anyone that has one. It's a 9', 7 piece 2wt. I know, it's kinda long, but i like longer rods. I'm still undecided but thought that maybe y'all could help out. Thanks alot and have a great day.

Craig
Old 03-12-2007, 09:19 PM

mtnman
I at one time was contemplating this very same decision. I found a march brown travel rod for around $225, and was very tempted to buy it. However, as I researched it online I found that most people were put off by the fact that it is a 7-piece rod. Instead of risking it, I went with the TFO finesse 2-wt and battenkill bar stock II from LRO. I am extremely happy with my decision. My biggest concern with the 7-piece rod over the 4-piece is that I have 3 more locations that my rod can come apart during casting and risk breakage. If possible, I would recommend giving it a couple of test casts. If you are looking to buy it off the internet, you may have a hard time testing them out as I found it somewhat difficult to find a local retailer that carried them.

Travis
Old 03-12-2007, 09:28 PM

So you are happy with the tfo finesse? I played around with one yesterday, not sure if it was a finesse or not, but i loved it. I am turned off on the fact that it's 9 foot, the 7'3" tfo is much better suited for these streams around here. Sure does seem like a nice rod though, both of them do actually. By the way, it is off the internet.

Craig
Old 03-12-2007, 09:47 PM

I have a March Brown 7 piece 5 wt. I "retailed" for $300 and I picked it up for $100+/-. It is not a bad $100 rod, but it is in no way a $300 rod. The multiple pieces make it much stiffer than a similar avg weight rod. I am no expert on fly rods and I have not thrown a TFO rod, but if you are looking for a good back up rod for local streams or travel, the march brown does fine. If you want a "go to" rod or a finesse rod, I would look elsewhere.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:23 PM

Default March Brown rods????

Usually, the more pieces a rod has, the reduction in flexibility. I have an Orvis travel rod (7 pcs) that has now been in the closet for about 12 years. It is a nice rod but just not really compatible to fish with. I have a 4 piece TFO with the BBS reel that I think it absolutely perfect for the Smokies and have started leaving the one of my more expensive sets at home. Daniel built this particular package at LRO and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:52 PM

Mtnman
I am very pleased with my purchase. The 7'-3" rod allows me to fish the way I am comfortable fishing, but that is more of personal preference. I am able to cast out a good 25 to 30 feet before it begins to give me some problems, and most of my small stream fishing keeps me casting less than 15'. The reason I went with the finesse over the professional series is the fact that it felt like it had more of a medium action instead of a medium fast action, I believe it was about 1/2 an ounce less, and I could get it in a 4-piece.

Travis
Old 03-13-2007, 08:35 PM

Yeah that's what i'm leaning towards is the 2 weight tfo finesse. In all honesty though, i don't really need another rod and i could save the money. I just got a winston bIIx 3wt 8'6" a few months ago and i really love that rod, although it actually feels more like a 4wt to me. I instantly fell in love with that rod the first time i used it, but that 2wt tfo finesse sure would be nice for really small streams. I don't know i really want one but i'm trying to talk myself out of it, haha.

Craig
Old 03-13-2007, 08:59 PM

I have the TFO finesse 3wt 8' and TFO professional 4wt 8'6. I love both of them the finesse is a little slow for me but perfect for the GSMNP. The 4wt professional is mt tail water rod, its a little faster and I can cast alot farther with it. I looked at the march browns but like everyone else i was afraid of the 7pc might be a little stiff so i went with the TFO's. I also have a orvis triton tls 5wt 8'6 flex tip that was my tail waters rod but I hardly take it out now. I can cast it farther but is not very forgiving on tippets.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:12 PM

I know this is kinda turning into a different topic, but how many rods do y'all have? I have three and am thinking of adding a fourth. My very first fly rod, a Loomis GL2 7'6" 4wt, hasn't been used in a while now. My next rod was a Loomis Trilogy 9' 5wt and i used it for a good 4 or 5 years solid on every stream. Like i said earlier, i recently got a winston bIIx 8'6" 3wt and i love it, couldn't ask for a better rod! For some reason though, i keep wanting a 2wt, i guess i'm kinda a rod and reel freak. Does anyone else have this problem? I guess if that's the worst problem i have i'm not doing that bad, but i just hate to spend the money. It's just that tfo finesse 2wt is calling my name........

Craig
Old 03-13-2007, 09:49 PM

I have 3. The TFO 2 wt, a 9' 6 wt, and a 8' 4 wt. I use the 2 wt for the Smokies, the 4 wt for tailwaters, and the 6 wt for streamers and bass. My 2 and 4 wt rods are cheaper bass pro shops rods, but I would like to replace my 4 wt with a new Winston 4 wt Ascent. I simply can't justify paying much more than that for a fly rod, I have a self imposed price limit of around $250. The way I see it, by the time I buy the rod, spool, line, and tube (if not included) I am looking at a spending around $400. I have two reels that I have spare spools with the different lines.