Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-13-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Wet wading sandals/shoes

Now that spring has finally arrived, it won't be long before we are shedding the waders and wet wading. I have been using some neoprene socks and my Chota boots for years but would like to get a pair of sandals or water shoes that would be less clunky to hike and fish in. I've looked at several different Manufacture's offerings but would like to hear your suggestions. My budget is $100 or less.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Go online and check out the new Korkers sandal system. It looks impressive. They started runnung ads for them in all the FF mags last fall.

I've just started my second season with my Korker Wetlands boots and I'm still very pleased. I'm planning on ordering some replacement felts with studs so I'm gonna be in 'em a while .

Gerry
Old 03-14-2007, 12:33 AM

obviously you'll want some felt bottom sandals, but the key is that they have a toe guard on them, or you will be breaking your toes on the rocks. the simms/keen sandal is good.. its what I own, but I wish the felt covered the entire sole. the edges are rubber, so there's still some slippage. I was actually thinking about just wearing my boots and neoprene wading socks this year. something else to consider with the sandals is that you're going to constantly be getting scree and tiny pebbles lodged between the footbed and your foot. this is somewhat annoying or painful, but not a huge problem.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:15 AM

I wear Chaco's with the Aquastealth sole, i'm walking when everyone else is slipping, i wish they had toe guards, i just move a little slower at times on account of that.

Grumpy
Old 03-14-2007, 08:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

I have the simms/keen sandals too. Love em. I also have just keen hiking sandals that I get wet sometimes too. But these from simms have fishing features to them. Toe guard, felt bottoms, easy strap on. Its all there. Solution to the pebble problem: Simms makes some real thin neroprene socks especially for sandals..they work.

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 03-14-2007, 03:21 PM

Default wading sandals

Thanks for all the replies. I'm back at work today after 2 days at home sick. This warm weather has really kicked my Allergies into high gear.
I like all the sandals with a toe guard. I wish Chota would incorporate one into their sandal. Maybe Byron could suggest it to Frank.
I like the Korkers Swift Trail design because you can take the felt sole off for regular wear, and you just order a new sole when it gets worn. I've also looked at the Keens and Chacos and also the BITE troutstream.
MTN TRT, I have a pair of those Simms neo. socks. They are comfortable and not as hot as the other simms wader socks I've used.
The only problem with the Korkers is I will have to go to B. Pro Shop to get them locally and I hate shopping for FF supplies from them. They are somewhat clueless in the Fly shop.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:16 PM

Troutman, I'm pretty sure Daniel at LRO would order them for you... I was thinking about getting the Korkers boots and he said he would order them... Check with them if you like 'em...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-14-2007, 05:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Daniel ordered mine for me last year. Turned out they were a size too large, so he re-ordered the smaller size. They fit great! When my son saw them he was ready to buy a boot too. Fortunately, Daniel hadn't sent the larger pair back yet, so Brett bought those and no complaints...

Gerry
Old 03-14-2007, 08:29 PM

I have the simms and like 'em.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:05 PM

Default korkers

I decided to stop by BPS on the way home today and at least try on a pair of the Korker sandals for sizing. They are the only dealer listed other than Mahoneys. After waiting awhile to actually talk to someone in the "Flyshop", (they are either gone or talking on their cellphones), they don't carry them.
Daniel, I'll hopefully be by this Sat. to place an order. We've got Acid Depo. on Abrams and LR and maybe have time to sling a few flies afterward.
Thanks LRO for all you do.