Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 03-14-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Amelia Island/Jacksonville, FL area

My wife won an all expenses paid weekend away to Amelia Island, FL next weekend and her work has offered to pay for us to take a fishing trip one day. Has anyone on here ever fished in the backwater or intracoastal waterways in this area? I have heard that our primary target this time of year will be redfish, shark, and some smaller (35 - 50 lb)tarpon.

Travis
Old 03-14-2007, 07:42 PM

Travis,

I would suggest contacting Black Fly Outfitters in St. Augustine. It is owned by Vaughn and Jean Cochran, who used to live here in the Keys (actually across the canal from me). Vaughn used to guide and now is a full time artist, and they both run the store. You can easily find them online, I don't know their number off hand. They should be able to steer you in the right direction in terms of a guide in that part of the state. They are good people, much like the folks at Little River Outfitters. Good Luck.

Drew
Old 03-15-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Amelia Island and the WORST Guide I ever had

I have been to Amelia Island 3 times. I hired a guide that my son and I still laugh about to this day although it was not too funny at the time. Started out I had to jump start his boat from my car secondary to dead battery(not really a problem). Next he proceeded to loose patience with my then 11 year old who was trying to cast an 8wt rod for the first time, then yelled at me throughout the morning mostly because I couldn't cast 80ft (no joke) with one false cast! NOT that way GD! You dropped your wrist, you turned your wrist, your arm was too far back..........on and on it went. I did manage to catch a 10# redfish later in the AM and then I called it quits. BTW, he did not offer any conversation to me or my son the entire trip other than to tell me when I was putting some sunscreen on my son's face " don't use that stuff..just let him burn and get a good base"

PS..Captain %*@$&%!, and previous "Orvis guide of the year" apparently. My now 18 year old just walked in and read this and said "the guys a jerk".

Flat Fly'n

Last edited by Flat Fly n; 03-16-2007 at 05:08 PM..