Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-15-2007, 02:10 PM

Default First Time On The Caney

I am headed for Caney Fork Monday. I've never fished there before. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. Most of what I have picked up so far is take olive wooly buggers (size 10) and small olive/grey midges. I have noticed that they have been generating until about 11:00am. I was also wondering where would be the best places to wade fish after generation? I have been looking at the 1-40 rest area location. Does anyone know how long the water takes to down enough to wade at the 1-40 rest area?
I am going to Sipsey Fork to introduce my brother (from Montgomery) to fly fishing. It's the only close trout stream to him in AL. I will let you know how I so next week. I look forward to fishing two new trout streams in one week.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:43 PM

It will be several hours before it goes down at I40. I would start at the dam after generation stops, you can fish about and hour after the generation stop, then work my way down river as the water goes down, lancaster island then happy hollow ect. If have a lot of luck using a bh prince or bh pheasants tail as droppers off a stimulator. Swinging a olive is very productive also.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:05 PM

Zebra midge dropped under a dry...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-16-2007, 02:10 PM

Thank's for the advice on Caney. I was reading a blog the other day from a guy who caught several nice fish on size 16 copper john's. I tied a few last night. I'll report back on my success.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:53 PM

PT nymphs tied on curved caddis larva hooks such as tiemco 2487's. Tye on a 14 and it essentially downsizes the fly one size to 16. WD-40's in tan or grey18-22. Olive zebras /gold bead head and a fine gold rib sz 20. Small soft hackles such as P&O or PT sz 16,14.

Like others stated, start at dam praking area and you can walk down the trail and set in. Work your way down as the water falls to the big bluff on the right...good hole. Grumpy will tell ya there ain't no fish in there though...he he

AA
Old 03-16-2007, 03:45 PM

Good answers guys, i have nothing to add, cept, there ain't no fish down there AA is talking about

Grumpy
Old 03-16-2007, 04:37 PM

welcome to the sipsey.it sure wont be anything like the caney though...
dalefish
Old 03-17-2007, 02:55 PM

Thanks again for the info. I purchased some soft hackle tying materials from Mike Adams at Mahoney's in J. City. He was showing me some of the soft hackles he was tying. I have tied several this week. I will try those out as well a midges and nymphs.
The Sipsey wouldn't be my first choice either, but I am going to meet my brother who lives in Montgomery, AL. That's the closest trout water to fish. I expect to catch mostely small stockers. I just want to introduce him to fly fishing. Like one guy said, bass fishing is addictive, but fly fishing is like crack cocaine. He was a salesman for Bass Proshop.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:23 PM

I have fished the Caney a good bit and here is what I find works well.

-black wooley bugger is king!
-black zebra midge
-sow bug
-tellico

I haven't tried one but a snail pattern ought to do well as there are tons of small snails on the rocks.

Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 03-22-2007 at 11:05 AM..
Old 03-22-2007, 04:00 PM

BHPT worked yesterday with the 5 weights, shad patterns worked while they were running water from the boat

Grumpy