Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-17-2007, 11:57 PM

Default The clinch

I haven't heard anything about the clinch in a while. anyone fished it recently? care to post a report? I gotta get some type of quick fix tomorrow, and the mountains aren't looking so hot right now. Is this some sort of joke? all week I sat in the office with visions of mayflies dancing in my head. the weekend comes, the streams blow out and the temperature backslides. now I hear its going to be beautiful again come monday. hey gerry, this must be what a stooksbury winter is.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:05 AM

Trevor,

I don't know how things have been over on the Clinch, but the Caney has been pretty good to me lately. You should add it to your list of options....generation looks pretty good for tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:21 AM

yeah, I've been meaning to get around to fishing the caney. we need to hit it up sometime. I was just thinking about making a quick trip to the clinch tomorrow, but I haven't really heard how the fishing has been. my other thought was to just go scout out a few streams in the park that I'm not as familiar with. I've been fishing the park heavily for 3 years now, but there are still entire sections that I've never even been to, particularly the more north eastern sections. are you going to fish the caney tomorrow?
Old 03-18-2007, 12:52 AM

Nah I can't go tomorrow. Wish I could, but I have some things I need to do around the house (painting). When you decide to come up, though, let me know.

Taking a drive to the park sounds nice. I miss being so close to the park. Haven't even been back to Knoxville since I came here in mid December.

BTW...the local Trout Unlimited paper says the fishing on the Clinch is "still slow and not worth the drive".
Old 03-18-2007, 12:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

I just want to know who the **** Stooksbury is. If they're listed in order, then Stooksbury Winter shouldn't come around until about late May/ early June.
This is even too early for Dogwood winter.

Got me...

Gerry
Old 03-18-2007, 01:56 AM

well, the first day of spring isn't until march 21st. so this is still just regular winter.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE

I fished the clinch last saturday. There were Sulfers all over the place, but no rising fish at all. My dad hung one on a zebra midge but other than that didnt catch a thing....

Last edited by FFM4LIFE; 03-18-2007 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Sulphurs in March?

FFM4LIFE,
Sulphurs, Mayflies, Ephemerella in March? I have been fishing a steady diet of it above and below the weir lately and catching a bunch of fish, but the only thing rising there is midges, and lots of midges. Of course, it's a little to cold to get mayflies coming off until you get around Miller's Island at least what I have noticed over the years.

Usually I don't hear of sulfurs until end of march, first of April and then through June on the Clinch.

Flat Fly'n
Old 03-18-2007, 01:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE

Im not really familiar with the bug activity,cause i am new to fly fishing. They may have not been sulfers but they sure did look like it. The were about size 12 and yellow,there back end kind of looked like foam and front end had some yellow hackle.

Last edited by FFM4LIFE; 03-18-2007 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-2007, 03:16 PM

FFM
Close enough description for some kind of mayfly, and good for you and all of us if they are starting to come off now. The sulphurs have been a little lacking over the past few years i think. BTW, most description say the wings are "dun" colored, or a really light gray color, but there are always variants.

I am heading out to the Clinch for the evening rise of midges. If you see some older guy there about 6'6" come on over and introduce yourself. I am always happy to help addict new folks to the river.

Tight lines,

PS......Since there was a post by your dad earlier on life lessons .......Remember the cast is all about physics......math....momentum and the likes. Study hard, fish even harder!