Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-20-2007, 03:37 AM

Default Indecision???...Pontoon vs Mokai Boat

I've been trying to make my mind up between a Mokai boat and a pontoon boat. I really like the mobility of the Mokai and it looks like a great boat for fishing and waterfowl hunting. If you've never seen one http://www.mokai.com/, it's a jet powered kayak hybrid that is capable of going up stream or down stream at about 15mph on any tailwater, high water or low. No hassle of shuttling! It is a bit shaky to stand and fish from, but it can be done. It's also a bit on the pricey side too at ~$3500. The only drawback with the Mokai is that it is motorized. I would feel a little self-conscious buzzing up a riffle that someone was fishing. Choice #2:The pontoon boat I am looking at is the Skykomish sunrise H2. A great looking boat stable enough to stand a fish from with no problem. And, at only 64#'s, this boat can easily be broken down and packed in two duffles as checked luggage for those extra adventure destinations. On the plus side the pontoon is less expensive, quiet and can be easliy taken onto an airplane.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Randall
Old 03-20-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Pontoon vs Mokai Boat

Randall,

You need to carefully consider what kind of water you'll be using your boat in. If you are in moving water, chances are you will not be doing much fishing while standing up, unless you are wading. I have a pontoon boat and wouldn't trade it for anything else. As far as airline travel goes, you would be better off shipping the boat by mail to your destination, unless you are doing a fly-in. I haven't tried a Mokai, but I have had many pleasant floats in a pontoon boat.

Look for a sturdy frame, and make sure to get the features that suit you. It goes without saying that you get what you pay for.

Good luck on your quest.

beeber
Old 03-20-2007, 10:20 PM

I'd forget both and get a raft.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:53 PM

Randall, do you fish the holston below cherokee often?

everytime I'm there it seems a gentleman puts in at the dam and motors downstream around the bend in one of those mokai boats. I was just wondering if that was you.

ben
Old 03-10-2008, 11:24 PM

You can run a small 2HP outboard on some toons, might not reach 15 MPH though.

Grumpy