Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-20-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Elk suggestions

I'm fishing the Elk tomorrow and just wondering if anybody's been down there latley?
Just wondering how it's been and what I should have in the box.
Any updates would be great.

Take care out there.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:28 AM

Deedub:

I haven't been since January. But, my go to flies on the Elk are a San Juan worm and an olive wooley bugger. The fish at the big bend downriver feed on very small midges (size 22 or smaller) a lot. I've had mixed success with those.

Good luck.

Robert
Old 03-21-2007, 04:48 PM

i usually have pretty good luck on the elk with #12 or #14 beaded prince nymphs. also #12 "trout candy", available at 'tim's flies and lies' in lynchburg work pretty good.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:22 PM

We fished the Elk on Sunday for a few hours. Gave up and went bass fishing at a private pond. The Elk is essentially stagnent due to the drought. Tims Ford lake appears to be down about 10ft, and so therefore there has been no generation for some time.

The first mile or so of the Elk below the dam has slime all over it, the bottom has some kind of nasty sediment that comes up in chunks as you wade, and the odor is definitely bad.

We fished for a good 3+ hours without a bump. I thought something had to be wrong when we were the only folks there at 0830 on a beautiful Spring day... now we know.

Ralph
Old 03-27-2007, 04:58 PM

Wonder if that slime is Ditimo or how ever you spell that invasion stream fungus? I plan on floating either Wednesday or Thursday from the dam to Farris Creek, will give a report if I get to go. If you are down and see an 18' Wenonah greenChamplain canoe, introduce youself Will have my wifes baby with me, 14 week Treeing Fiest pup, never been one for a fishing dog, but house training and he does what I do.

I have stopped by the last two Sunday nights just before dark as I was on my way home from work and there seems to be no new stocked fish, seeing no risers and bait dunkers say they are having no luck, and there are no crowds.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:11 PM

I was out on the Elk this past weekend and it was a slow go. We definitly could use some rain over the next few days.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:27 PM

I live on the bank of the Elk and it's the first time since I've been here (6 yrs) that I can actually see the level is down, TVA ran water all winter, since they have quit, it is noticible, I'm 25 river miles below the dam.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:21 AM

Elk riverrat,

I have been thinking about taking tomorrow off and heading down to the Elk. Did the rain yesterday help the fishing prospects?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:01 PM

Rain, what rain? We didn't get a drop, as usual I fished today and it was slow, TWRA fellows told me that stocked it yesterday (03/29) but you could have fooled me. Was only one other fisherman at the dam, no one at General Lowes and had Old Dam Ford to myself.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:39 AM

Default Wow!

Elk riverrat

Did you catch that rainbow yesterday? That's a sweet fish, particularly for the Elk. I've seen pictures of good sized browns, but I don't think I've seen a rainbow that big. Any idea how long it was?

Nice fish!

Robert