Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 03-21-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Greetings

Hey everyone,
I just found this site today. I'm new to fly fishing, having only been a few times, and I'm looking to learn whatever I can about this great sport. I just recently went to the Smokey Mountains near Gatlinburg with a few of my friends (who will hopefully be joining soon) for spring break. Unfortunately we were disappointed not to catch anything. I understand the water temperature may have been too cold. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.
Again, thanks for letting me join this community. I'm looking forward to some great tips.
GG
Old 03-21-2007, 07:47 PM

Gray Ghost,
Welcome. Sorry the first few times out have been non-productive. It takes a little time, education, and luck, but this is what makes this sport so captivating.

I had to write just on the name alone, it fired up some great memories of a special place for me. I used to live in Maine and return often to fish or hunt for "pats"(grouse). I assume you know that Gray Ghost is the name of a fly? It was designed by one of the greatest fly tyer of streamers for brook and landlocked salman. Carrie Stevens (I think that was her last name) out of Rangeley Maine. To this day the old guys still talk about and use her flies.

Tight lines and screaming reels in the future,
Flat Fly'n
Old 03-21-2007, 08:02 PM

Actually the "Gray Ghost" moniker came from my Dad who apparently was a fan of the DC Comics character. But, to my delight, in searching for a picture to accompany my user name I discovered the fly by the same name and decided it was a fitting avatar for a fly fishing board. Thanks for the background info though. I'm glad someone else has a personal appreciation for it.
Mark 1:17
"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Old 03-21-2007, 08:55 PM

GG......welcome to the board. I hope you find time to get to LRO on your next trip, it would be very benificial. The entire staff there can give you up to the second information on what is hatching and what the trout are taking on.....also, all on this board are very open with suggestions and tips so just ask away......

buckeyetrouter

ps......love your signature line...get goose bumps on my arms when I read it....
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 03-21-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Fishers of Men

Gray Ghost,

Welcome to the board! It is a great place to visit, not as good and the mountains but sometimes we just have to persevere until we get there. I have a question for either you or buckeyetrouter. Have you heard of a book that is titled something to do with "Why Jesus chose fishermen" or possibly "Why Jesus went to fishermen first". My good fishing friend and fellow church member had the book and loaned it to our former pastor. He must have thought it was a gift and the book is now somewhere in Indiana, he just isn't sure where. I have searched online but can not find anything that matches close to it apparently. Just hoping someone may have the actual title so I can get a copy!

Enjoy the board, it is always good to find a brother in Christ sharing the board and the streams.

Wishin' I wuz Fishin', g <*))))><
Old 03-22-2007, 06:28 AM

Welcome aboard!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com