Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-21-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Bald River vs North River

Suggestions needed....

If you were to choose a base camp for fishing the Tellico area in April, which campground would you prefer? Holly Flats on the Bald River or McNabb Creek on the North River?

In order of importance:
1. Gullible wild trout
2. Quiet and scenic campground
3. Brookies nearby

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:15 PM

Nether of the mentioned camps will be "quite". They are nice campgrounds but by April will have several campers. I usually turn up North River (North River Corridor) & travel up a few miles. Several designated campsites along the way. Usually these are single spots so you have no crowds. Several of the small tributaries to North River have brookies. The upper sections of North River contain "wild" rainbows. Feel free to PM with any other question!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 PM

Well you cant go wrong with either one of these rivers. Both are beautiful, usually not crowded at all and both offer wild trout with the possibilities of Brookies. On the North River side you can either do NR campgroup or one of the designated sites up NR road that Ripmyfly mentioned. There are plenty of them that are no-fee and first come first serve. If my memory serves me almost all of them are right on the river. McNabb Creek is actually designated as a group campground & I have been on campouts down there with well over 60 people (It is not on the river). As far as Holly Flats goes it is a larger campground than NR & does have sites on the river, but I agree that it will be crowded soon. If you are planning on fishing the Tellico in addition to the Bald & North then I would suggest staying on the NR side. There is a road just past NR campground that will take you over the mtn just below Green Cove on the Tellico, then the Bald is about 10 min away. Hope this helps, its got me itchin to go down there just talking about it.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:29 AM

Thanks ripmyfly and budman... one of the pull-off campsites on the North sounds like the way to go. How safe would they be to leave camping gear out while fishing?

What flies have been the most productive on the North River?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:58 AM

I wouldn't worry about someone stealing my tent or sleeping bag but i wouldn't leave anything really valuable (like a stove, lantern, etc.) at the site without locking it up.

As far as flies;
Tellico nymphs
Quill Gordons
Thunderheads
Yellow stimulators
Old 03-22-2007, 09:04 AM

Don't leave a cooler full of beer out. One of your buddies might be in the area, see your camp and decide to drink all but 2 before you get back to camp. It's a long way to the closest beer store from either place.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:09 PM

Speaking of beer... I dont think it's allowed in National Forest. National Park yes but not the forest. I had a warden go through my cooler one time to see. Unless the regs have changed or Im crazy be careful!!
Old 03-23-2007, 02:05 AM

Actually on the beer thing its the other way around. Nat'l Parks- no- except for very few specified areas (campgrounds & picnic facilities). Now as far as the Forests it used to be allowed BUT I was talking to a ranger down at NR campground a couple of years ago & he said that they were talking about outlawing there to. I'm not sure if the law has taken effect yet, but while camping down there last May (McNabb Creek) we had a ranger stop by while we enjoying a few. He didn't say that it was not allowed & his attitute seemed to be that as long as we weren't getting out of hand he was fine with it. I guess the best piece of advice would be if you were going to have a couple, just be discreet about it
Old 03-24-2007, 12:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hoss

My vote would be for Bald river and going in above Green cove I would camp about a mile before you get to Holly flats in a clearing with a field across the road and a old logging road ( now gated ). That takes care of your # 1 & 3 choices and 1/2 your #2.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:55 AM

have they always allowed beer at the campgrounds at the nat'l parks? I don't know why, but all these years I'd always thought all alcohol was illegal in the park. I just saw a sign 2 weeks ago that said, "alcohol only permitted in picnic areas and campgrounds". I asked a couple of my friends if it was allowed, and both said no. when I told them about the sign, they were reluctant to believe me.