Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 03-22-2007, 08:53 AM

Default actual hatches

Hi guys,
New here, being a yankee I'd like to know what mayflies you are actually getting right now. I see the "fishing report referring to Quill Gordons, etc.
what are the actual species of mayflies, and their sizes.
thanks much,
blkbear1
Old 03-22-2007, 06:16 PM

BB1,
I'm no expert on entomology by any means. But most QGs are about a sz12. The best I can tell they are Epeorus pleuralis. I am generally fairly confident in the identification of the commonm mayflies of the Smokies to the family and genus level. I think identification of most flies to the species level should probably be left up to the experts. I have also been seeing in good numbers a couple other mayflies for the last couple weeks. Blue Quills, and Baetis have been plentiful on warm days.

If you enjoy in depth study of entomology you may find this list of aquatic species found within the park interesting.

http://www.discoverlife.org/nh/cl/GS...#Ephemeroptera

Maybe Byron has a good hatch chart recomendation. BTW welcome

Last edited by flyman; 03-23-2007 at 05:57 PM..
Old 03-23-2007, 01:05 PM

thanks Flyman!
Just preparing for the "Hendrickson" (Ephemerilla subvaria) hatch on the AuSable in Michigan. Been doing that hatch for 30 years!
Fished late summer in your neck of the woods last year, and have been dabbeling w/the idea of returning...so thanks again for the ID on your early Spring bugs for trout thugs! Aging eyes always welcome a size 12!!!!!!
blkbear1
Old 03-23-2007, 04:30 PM

Hey guys,

I haven't been on here in a few days. I'm not an expert at entomology. I use the fly names and stay away from the latin. We sell and recommend a book and hatch chart written by Roger Lowe. Roger is a friend who owns Lowe's Fly Shop in Waynesville, NC. He is an expert in my opinion. We sell both online under the book section, you can buy them at the shop or you can get them from Roger.

Also, welcome to the board blkbear1. You will learn a lot here. I have.

Byron
Old 03-23-2007, 06:40 PM

Default AuSable

blkbear1,

I fished the AuSable last year in late September and had missed all the hatches by then. About when do you begin fishing it in the spring? I know the season opens in late April and I'm not sure if you can fish it earlier because of the steelhead run. I really want to give it another try, just earlier this year. It was a difficult river for me and I wasn't prepared for it that time. You must be a Michigander! I'm in Indiana, stuck between heaven in Michigan and paradise in Tennessee! Or is it heaven in Tennesse and ....you get the idea!

Wishin' I wuz Fishin', g <*))))><
Old 03-23-2007, 07:41 PM

Geerona,
Darn if that doesn't make two Hoosiers. I'm near Indy.
The Hennys usually start right about "opener"(last Saturday in April), which is a misnomer because most of the system is no-kill and open year round. You can count on the first two weeks in May bringing #14-12 Hendricksons, #18 olives, #16 Mahoganys, and if yer lucky, black caddis. (Just before that there are always black stone flies.
Talk to Rusty Gates at Gates Lodge (gateslodge.com). He'll always set you straight.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:03 PM

Blkbear 1,

Small world after all! Our son lives in Indy, we are north of Muncie about 25 miles. There was a post on the board a few weeks ago about Rusty Gates and his lodge. I believe he and his wife had been in LRO and Brian mentioned it on the board. I'll check in with him this spring when we make it back to Michigan.

I thought the Au Sable was one of the streams you could fish year round as long as trout were released. There are actually several Hooiers on the board and I'm glad to see you are on also. It's fun to check in daily although it makes the wait to fish terrible.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:01 AM

Hendricksons are one of the best hatches in the Smokies to Blkbear. To me about the time they start hatching really signals the start of good dependable dry fly fishing. It's getting close, I saw my first Trout Lillies today
Old 03-24-2007, 07:56 AM

Hey Geerona.....small world, we just opened a car wash in Muncie (Super Wash) over by Muncie Lanes.........I've been wanting to try some of those smallies in the White, I have a friend in Anderson who keeps trying to get me stay long enough to fish but it just hasn't happened yet...hopefully soon.....

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 03-24-2007, 09:19 AM

Default Small world indeed

Hey Buckeyetrouter,

A small world indeed! When I was a kid it was not unusual to see tires, washing machines and electric ranges in the White river right in downtown Muncie. The cleanup has been amazing. I have mainly fished the Mississinewa, about 15 miles north of Muncie, in recent years for smallies. You should take your friend up on the offer to fish the White.

I still need to do some more checking on those brown trout near Brookville we talked about.