Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 03-25-2007, 02:11 AM

Exclamation Hey Mr. Silver (Alias Byron)

Anyone feel free to chime up! So, the plan is a late summer vacation to Destin Beech Fla. Planning on having the best time of our lives of course. The question is where or who might be the best Tarpon fly fishing guide service to these waters. I've browsed a bit online and have came up with a few. Has anyone been fishing for Tarpon in Destin? It's certainly advertised! Has anyone been fishing at all in Destin? I also see Dolphin and Redfish of course and what's the reccomendation? I want to book with a reputable guide service and get a great day of fishing. I also notice that in booking a trip they are well fish specific! I know that any guide service has a no gaurentee catch policy but in the case were you are unable to make a hook up with a specific species will they make the switch or keep pluggin away?

As always I just wanna make the hook up! Don't think it will really matter with what just that we meet some new puckered faces and enjoy getting a nice tan. Love the freshwater sport and am really interested in meeting some of the salt guys and enjoying their sport!

Should I go with a Orvis endorsed lodge?

Thanks for any help as always!
Fishermansfly
Old 03-25-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Lucky Dog

Well if your luggage is too heavy I would be more than happy to carry it around for you.
When we were down there last year we planned on going off shore later in the week so we scouted two larger docks with a lot of charters and found the ones that were getting results.

Good luck and make sure you post some pictures when you get back.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:57 PM

Flyfishermansfly,

I've fished near him several times. I talked to him often. He and our usual Tarpon guide are good friends. I have him booked for three days this year. He now guides Andy Mills. He guided Perk Perkins who owns Orvis last year while I was down there. Get this guy if at all possible. His name is David Mangum. You may be going too late for Tarpon but I'm not sure. A couple of years ago they were still around in August.

http://www.shallowwaterexpeditions.c...lery/paintings

Byron

Last edited by Byron Begley; 03-26-2007 at 08:48 AM..
Old 03-30-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Ok!

I was out of the house landing the big bluegill when David called back and my wife answered! Actually, it's pretty funny because he told my wife he was out of town for the moment fishing, of course, and for some reason I decided to stroll across the street and do the same which my wife so graciously told him. So, here Mr. Magnum is out scoping for Tarpon while I'm back home tackeling the big blue gill! Ha! It's still funny to think about! Enough of me babling. Any how he planned on checking his book and he thought he'd be open for mid July. Still laughing! He probably thinking "Oh, boy! I've got my work cut out for me on this one!"

So, Byron unfortunately this brings me to more questioning! When booking an expidition of sorts like this, should you plan more than one day on the water! After all my salary can't afford more than one day at 5 Ben's not to mention tipping! Don't get me wrong it's really not a bad deal all things considered, but for future reference should I book more than 1 day? I would imagine this raises the odds of landing a better fish, but I think I'll be happy landing a baby! Just the chance to see what the flats and salt are all about!!

My wife and I have been married for going on seven years. During that time we have yet to honeymoon or take a vacation departing from the four walls of the place we call home! That being said my parents haven't been on a vacation in years or as mom would graciously say "30 years!!!'' So I want everyone to have a great time and thoroughly enjoy themselves!

I plan on renting an actual house for the week and let me tell you it's not easy trying to find a vaction house in peak summer anywhere within the panhandle! That is that's reasonable and away from drunken college partiers! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! So if you know of any good places to spend some time, money, and fun pass the buck on to this young poor fellow!

And yet one more question! Directed towards Paula! She told me that she had recieved a TFO rod heavier weight and a fantastic reel! She mentioned your disgust for the set until you either broke your rod or line, something along those lines, and picked her TFO up and used it! She mentioned something about you falling in love with it! So i'm wondering what was the set up and do you all have the rod in stock? I've never cast anything over a six wieght and it would probably be a good idea to start getting used to one! What weight! If nothing else there is a 25lb+ carp that's been needing to be caught for the past two days at the duck pond...It would be good practice. He has teased me for the past two days tailing, surface feeding! I managed to get a size 14 blue quill into his feeding lane but he just cruised past! BUGGER!!!! Any how I'd like to do a little warm water fishing to get warmed up to Tarpon!

Thanks again!
Brett
Old 03-30-2007, 01:53 PM

Brett,

It took me 3 years and about $10,000 to catch my first big tarpon. Way too much money. I would get into saltwater fly fishing by just wading and catching whatever you can. Redfish, Speckled Trout, Ladyfish and a bunch of other species are fun on a fly rod. One of the best places I've found to wade is Port St. Joe. You can rent a condo or house out on Cape San Blas then wade fish on the hard sand bay side of the spit. You can also rent a kayak. Paula and I have rented a very nice room at the Port Inn in the town of Port St. Joe. There are houses available there too. The Cape has one of the best beaches in the United States. There is a huge State Park which does have very nice cabins for rent but they are hard to get. You can walk 4 miles past the last road out onto the cape and fish, look for shells and enjoy the beauty. You do have to watch out for sharks and rays. A young fellow lost his leg to a shark there two years ago but he had live shrimp in his pocket. I've had big schools of small rays surround me and lay down on the bottom but as long as you don't step on them you should be OK.

The rod you are talking about is a Temple Fork Professional 9' 9 weight and it can be had for around $160. The Reel is a Tibor which exceeds $600 I think but we can sell you a Bauer for a whole lot less and it will do a great job for you. You should also be able to fish with David Mangum or one of his guides but you might have more fun catching reds our speckled trout. Tarpon fishing is something that you do, often without hooking one but you keep going back until you do. There is a lot to learn and it can be a very expensive process. I'm glad I've caught a few. Now I just hook them, let them jump a few times, break them off and get back to fishing. It can take hours of hard work to land a big one and you are missing all that good fishing during that time. The best part of tarpon fishing is the "eat". You watch them eat your fly. Second is hooking them. That's a whole new fishing challenge. Third is the jump and first run. After that, it's work. Good luck and have a great vacation. I can't wait to hear about your plans.

Byron