Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-26-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Snowbird Creek

Any opinions on upper Snowbird Creek and the trail to access it fom the Cherohala Skyway?

How long of a hike would it be down to the Big Falls?
Old 03-26-2007, 09:04 PM

The person to answer this is Jswitow - he's our resident expert on all things Snowbird. I've never fished it, but I know the area a bit; access is a bit before the Skyway, just outside of Robbinsville - although there might be another route from the Skyway.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:37 PM

Default Snowbird Creek

Hey Marktronic,
Ij says I am the resident expert, that is being very generous! I do maintain a thread on Snowbird under the "Troutfishing in other states " section. Getting to big Falls from the top? I have never done it, but I think it is about 9 miles (~2,000' descent). Looking at my Gazatteer though it looks like only about 5 miles. The Gazatteer doesn't exactly jive with the Snowbird map as I remember. We have talked about just doing a through hike to the junction and I believe that is about 14 miles. My maps are over in Robbinsville, and I am in Knoxville. From the Junction to Big Falls is about 3.5 miles. Junction to upper is about 5 miles. It is an old railroad grade so not too steep. I will be over that way this coming Saturday afternoon. I will try to remember to have some accurate info for you Sunday night. I coach a U10 soccer team and we play at 10:30! (or I would be going Friday night) Anyway if I can be of any more help feel free to shoot me a PM or email.
Best,
John
Old 03-27-2007, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the info. I am going to be camping in the area this weekend with my 8 year old son. It sounds like the mileage to get to the falls from either access point would be to great of distance for us. I was hoping the skyway trail was going to be a shortcut...
Old 03-27-2007, 08:59 AM

Default Camping and Wild trout

Marktronic,
Some thougths; Big Santeetlah creek has some backcountry campsites with some fairly close access to wild trout. There is a stream over there, one of the tribs to West Buffalo named Squally. It is full of wild rainbows, I haven't fished it but it is supposed to be one of those 70-100 fish a day streams (6-9"). Might be a good place for a little guy. Sorry that Snowbird is not so close. It is pretty up there but a good hoof.
Hope you all have a good time regardless.
John
Old 03-27-2007, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the tip on the Squally. I looked it up on the map and it looks good. Do you know if there are any pull-off campsites right on SR 1122?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:51 PM

Default Squally SR1122

Sorry, don't have a map with the road numbers. Is sr1122 the road that follows West Buffalo...... or Squally? West Buffalo is urban in a Southern Appalachian sort of way. Squally is very small and remote from what I know. It gets that way very quickly, the road is more of a trail. I'm not really sure about the camping opportunities on Squally but would not recommend it. There are nice campsites near Joyce Kilmer's Poplar Cove, (Horse Cove Campground) for a first visit I would recommend it. It can't be more that 20 minutes to the junction of Squally and Little Buffalo. You could scope out the area a little more as well. Make sure you are on Squally or other wild trout water as the hatchery supported waters are closed until the 7 of April. You probably already knew that.
Anything else, ask away. I will answer to the best of my knowledge. As I said I will be over this weekend; Saturday afternoon and Sunday if I can be of any help.
Best,
John