Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 03-26-2007, 06:57 PM

Default camping/fishing in kentucky early april

i am headed down to townsend for a week of fly fishing april 14th. my rental cabin is not available until sunday. i was hoping to stop somewhere along the way....hike in.....camp for a night.....and fish. something quiet, secluded, a smaller stream which isn't impossible for only a 2yr flyfisher to cast. i have read about some streams in the daniel boone wilderness. this would be convenient.....right off I75 and about 7h out of michigan. but i haven't been able to find any good fishing or camping details. i don't mind hiking in a couple of hours w/my pack to get to a nice spot. i will be solo, so need a fairly well marked trail.

any ideas would be welcome. either for the dbnf or for other areas along the way. i'm just looking for some peace and quiet and a spot to waste a day fishing.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:09 PM

hey pkd,

I'm in Louisville, KY. PM me and I'll try to fill you in with any information I can give.

Dude
Old 03-26-2007, 07:56 PM

Look at Bark Camp Creek in SE Kentucky. It's in the Daniel Boone National Forest and is a tailwater of Laurel Lake. There are campgrounds at Laurel Lake, which happens to be right off I-75 near London/Corbin.

The stream is stocked and the US Forestry office in London can get you directions if no one else can.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:34 AM

Bark Camp creek is a nice place. It is stocked monthly with rainbows and twice yearly I think with browns. It is about 20 minutes from exit 25. There are several inexpensive restaurants and hotels near the exit (the original KFC is very close). Most of the drive in camp grounds don't open until April 14. There is some fishing pressure near the road, but if you are willing to hike 10 to 20 minutes or so, you can have complete solitude. I went in about a mile last weekend and had a great time. The trail (2.6 miles) is well maintained. Don't expect the larger fish you will find in the Smokies or mountain streams of N.C., but it is a good small KY trout stream experience. I will probably be in there somewhere on that weekend. here are 3 links that should help.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/docume...01cumbfall.pdf
http://fw.ky.gov/troutclass.asp
http://www.kentuckygameandfish.com/f...02/index1.html
Old 03-29-2007, 11:08 PM

i had read about both bark camp and dog slaughter on the net. thought they both looked good. just hard to tell from an online story. the extra links are helpful. if i have my facts right....i could either use the adirondack shelter at bark camp or do dispersed camping anywhere in the park....is that correct? hiking in 30min would be fine for me. especially if it gets me some solitude.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:22 AM

It is primitive camping but the trails are well marked and clear. Watch for snakes, especially around the rock overhangs and outcroppings.

As posted before, park at the culvert on the main Forestry road and hike down. The trail is parallel to the creek and there are a couple of large pools just a hundred yards or so from the road. The more seclusion is farther down stream as you go towards the Cumberland River.