Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-27-2007, 08:44 AM

Default Clinch TWRA meeting

Can anyone give an update of last night's meeting with the TWRA on the Clinch management plan?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:01 AM

Default Clinch TWRA

I was hoping you were giving the report. Someone will certainly report soon.
Best,
John
Old 03-27-2007, 12:10 PM

Default TWRA meeting

OK, here's my take on the event.

Frank Fiss got up and gave data, data that at times was weak regarding not enough data points to try to convince one of what they were trying to show, but still data. IF you have ever been to one of these things it's always the same...........we do not think you know what your talking about re:loss of bigger fish, healthier fish, etc, because we have all the data and the shocking data, etc. They try, and Frank Fiss has tried, and Phil Bertolli, but the overall view of last night from the fishermen that were there was the river is dying, or not the same as it was and something needs to happen, despite what the data shows the the "overall catch rate is up" even if it is a 7" fish, produced by the 300,000 3" fish that were stock last year in the Clinch.
Woopee!

Now what got done.

They wanted our imput on a 5 year "wish list" for the river. After 4 large pieces of paper were an entire room of people brainstormed we were all able to come away without gunfire or a knife fight! We all joined hands in the end and sang "Chum by Here"! OK, we didn't go that far.

There were some good suggestions. OF course, suggestions are just that, suggestions. Frank Fiss promised NOTHING. He wants to take the suggestions (turned in by June 1), study them (by July 1) and then report to the regional office sometime this summer and then finalize the plans around October and then IF there are changes to be made take them the final TWRA meetings in DEC..If I am correct in this. Of course people ask for better enforcement, slots, regs, and access, as well as better cooperation from TVA on water releases and even minimal flow, say 200 CFS at non generation times.

Now what you can do...........
All suggestions are due by the end of June to Mr. Fiss. If you want C&R, slots, or leave it alone........write and send it..if you don't have the time to send a 5 min letter to change the fishing on this river for the next 5-10 years, then don't complain. IF your kids fishing on a potential blue ribbon stream in the next 5-10 years is worth it to you, take them to Ark, MT, NM, heck for that matter NY state, or write and ask for changes.

My brief suggestions to him is one..........treat the Clinch like every other "heavily fished tailwater(Trout Management Plan for TN 2006/Fiss) and have special regs and zones. ONe brief note. Of EVERY tailwater in that discussion on page 8(Apalachia, Wilbur,S.Holston, and Center Hill, and thte Clinch), the Clinch is the only tailwater WITHOUT special regs. or zones!!!!!!

So now it is up to YOU and everybody that YOU KNOW to write Mr. Fiss with suggestions...

That web address is twra.clinch@state.tn.us or twra.org I think will get you there..

I have tried not to throw in my opinions or suggestions. I have them, but I will write myself with what I would like to see, and I hope that you will do the same.

Flat Fly'n

Last edited by Flat Fly n; 03-27-2007 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: I grew up in Horsepasture VA, what do you expect!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:58 PM

Phil,

Thank you for informing those of us that couldn't make it! Okay folks, Phil has put it out there, if you want the Clinch to be managed like our other quality tailwaters in TN then please write and say so.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Clinch Regs

I just posted my thoughts to the TWRA site that Flat-Fly-N listed. Click on it, and give your thoughts, it shouldn't take a few minutes......... and it just might finally accomplish something.
Best,
John
Old 03-27-2007, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the update. I couldn't make it to the meeting, but I'll definitely send my thoughts on to TWRA. My "wish list" would include better enforcement and catch-and-release only or at least slots for the browns. Let the meatfishers keep their stringers of 7" rainbows; that's never going to go away. Having spent countless days on the Little Red, White, and Norfork in Arkansas I know what kind of potential the Clinch has. I appreciate TWRA's willingness to listen and hope some changes can be made in the future.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the report. What are you talking about when you say "slot"?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Slot limits

Sivad,

Look up "slot limit" on Google. Slot limits are put into place on some waters to protect certain sizes of fish from being harvested. The slot on the South Holston, which covers both rainbows and browns, is currently 16 - 22". By making it illegal to harvest fish in this size range the number of fish in this size increase.

It takes a few years for the Clinch to grow a fingerling to this slot size so we're tying to get some special regs put in place to protect them. I think a slot would be accepted more widely than any kind of C&R or artificial only regs. The C&K crowd can still harvest fish outside of the slot and the C&R people have a more dense population of fish in that size range. This shows good balance and reasoning since there are different users of the resource. Catering to just one user group is a dated practice.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Thanks for posting link....

I was hoping to make the meeting, but duty calls when your wife works and you have a 3 year old (almost).

I did send in my letter addressing changes and ideas I would like to see addressed.

Thanks for posting and attending.

The Clinch is and can be a fabulous fishery. But as with most anything life, it can be improved.

Petey
Old 03-28-2007, 01:40 PM

Default clinch management suggestions

I was not able to attend the meeting either, so I did send an email letter to TWRA with suggestions.
Thanks to everyone that attended and is working for changes on this river. I haven't fished it in a long time due to the poor quality of fishing and limited access. Maybe working together as a strong voice for change will get the attention of higher authorities within TWRA. Troutman