Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Default South Holston River

I'm a newbie to this, or any other, message board - so please be gentle. I spoke with Paula about an upcoming fishing trip this morning (used to work with her in a previous life) and she suggested posting a message here. 5 or 6 of us try and get together each spring for a fishing outing and over the years we've fished streams and rivers in N. Georgia (ATL is home) and NC and this year thought we might try TN. Some internet searching along with a personal contact indicated that the S. Holston is worth a shot. We generally travel with 2 pop-up campers and one RV, so campsites with electric, water, and shower facilities is preferred. We would also prefer wade fishing, however we can drag a boat if there is limit access. Any information you can share regarding campsites, state parks, wade access, public boat access, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for you time and responses.

Regards,

Mike
Old 03-27-2007, 12:56 PM

This on the Watauga tailwater about 20 mins from the South holston.Plenty of wading opportunities if TVA is cooperating.

http://www.riverridgecampground.net/
Old 03-27-2007, 01:06 PM

What kind of boat is it? Driftboat, Jonboat? Go see Eddie Wyatt when you go....
Old 03-27-2007, 03:18 PM

Boat is an older hull model aluminum boat about 14 ft. long with trolling motor and small gas motor.

Regards,

Mike
Old 03-27-2007, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

Regards,

Mike
Old 03-27-2007, 04:26 PM

No problem, Mike...glad to help.

TVA will most likely have the water off when you're there (especially on the weekends) but you never know with them. Byron has a list of dams on his fishing report page. Do yourself a favor and watch the releases closely. The two dams that are of interest to you are Wilbur (watauga) and South Holston.

Do you have any pictures of the boat? Do you have experience floating rivers in this boat?
Old 03-27-2007, 04:39 PM

No pics. We've used the boat a number of times on the Chattahoochee River around the Jones Bridge landing.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:45 PM

Default boat

with the drought right now, leave the boat at home. Between the Watauga and S. Holston there will be plenty of wading with good hatches of sulphurs for the most part.

Is jones bridge fishing still available. I used to live in Atlanta and would sneak up there when I got an afternoon off from Emory/Grady.

Flat Fly'n
Old 03-27-2007, 06:57 PM

Smile South Holston options

The TVA is doing a nice job of providing wading anglers with a generation schedule that works on weekends. There are many options within 30 minutes of either the Holston or Watauga in case they do run water-several mountain streams-many first class in my book. Heck-I might even take you down in my drift boat-I'm practicing to guide when I retire. I would leave the aluminum boat at home until you are familiar with these rivers-either can be dangerous when dams are pushing water. Numerous campgrounds in the area also. Send me a PM with your dates and I will do my best to help out. Ditto on Eddie Wyatt at Fly Shop of TN-he is one of the more helpful fly shop owners I have ever met.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Default Welcome to the Board, Mike!

Mike

Welcome to the board!

It sure was great talking with you yesterday! Hope you all have a fabulous trip and I am thrilled that you have been bitten with the fly fishing bug!

Paula

eta: Mike was my counterpart in Georgia, as he said, in a previous life. He and his dad, Percy, were my favorites in the business we were in together. Thanks for taking good care of Mike...he is a stand-up guy!