Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 03-27-2007, 04:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher
Default Avery Creek, NC

Hey Everbody,

Sorry this post is a few days delayed. My wife was out of town this past weekend, which always means fishing for me. I left the house saturday morning after sleeping in as usual. I figure I have to taje advantage of sleeping in while I can, because in a few years it will be kids waking me up really early on saturdays(which isn't a problem). Anyway, I headed to the Davidson as usual, but on the drive up I was thinking about how nice of a day it was going to be, which would probably equate to fisherman in ever one of my favorite holes. The thought of fishing in a crowd did not interest me, so instead I went to Avery creek, a small trib of the Davidson. I fished for about 3 hours and covered about one mile of water. I started with a BH Pheasant tail and switched to a Tellico about half way through. Both flies seemed to produce equally well. Caught all rainbows, with biggest maybe stretching to 9". Broke one off on the hook set that was probably 10-11". It was one of those brain farts where I set the hook so hard I was either gonna break it off or have a 3 incher coming back at me like a missile. Anyway, I didn't want crowds and I got my wish. I did not see another person for the mile that I fished. It was a good reminder for me that small streams, small fish and 3 weights is always a lot of fun.

Matt
Old 03-27-2007, 05:02 PM

Great report, did you start right where it runs into the davidson and work your way up or did you go upstream a bit? I've never fished there, but have thought about it. We fished very close to you on saturday, as a matter of fact we drove right by avery creek and the davidson, which was packed at 7am.

Craig
Old 03-27-2007, 07:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Craig,

check you messages. I sent you a PM about Avery.

Matt