Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 03-27-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Turkeys

Byron,

I read your report this morning about the turkeys and have to post my own observations. I have a flock of turkeys that have been living behind my house. They actually showed up Thanksgiving night just after we finished eating our wild turkey dinner. There's 6 hens and 3 jakes (1 year old gobblers) in the flock. I love waking up in the morning to their gobbles, best alarm clock there is. I sit on the deck almost every moring and every evening watching them. Until yesterday morning, only 1 of the jakes would strut and boss the other 2 around Yesterday morning, all 3 starting strutting and showing each other up. On to the real part of the story.

I've got pictures of them in the neighbors yard between the deck and trampoline. I've been wanting to get some pictures of them in the field in a less suburban setting. One day they were in a field where I could get a good picture of them, so threw on some camo, grabbed the Nikon, and was sneaking down the wood line to get closer. Now I'm not an expert stalker, but I do have a pretty impressive trophy room, so I'd like to think I know what I'm doing. Well, these things proved me wrong. They spotted me sneaking from 300 yards away, started "putting" at me and walked over the hill and away. Later that night I was sitting on the deck enjoying a beverage, and the turkeys came down the fence line right behind the house like they do every night, however this night, the neighbors boy (probably 8 years old) was behind his house. He ran down the hill and right into the middle of them. The turkeys were startled however, they didn't run or fly. He then proceded to take a stick and "shoot" every one of them. Made me feel like a fool.

Turkey season comes in this weekend, hopefully I'll have a little better luck calling them in and I had on my stalk. The turkeys behind my house are safe, I get more enjoyment out of watching them than I would eating them. Have a safe hunt in Kentucky.

Buzz
Old 03-28-2007, 08:50 AM

Here's the view from the deck.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:55 PM

Default turkey parade

Last week driving down the mountain on Robeson Rd. in Wears Valley my wife and I spied crossing a little ways in front of us a line of wild turkeys. And, indeed, on the road and behind the fence in the cow pasture, they were in a line as if 'the boss' had told them to line up so a whole bunch would not get hit at once should a vehicle zoom up too quickly. Anyway, some had already passed when we started counting. Thirteen remained to cross in front of us and not a single beard seen in the bunch. Looked like last years' jakes and some hens. Guess the bearded gobblers were off somewhere else 'taking care of business'!

Choctaw