Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-28-2007, 01:19 PM

Default South Holston

Leaving Friday headed up to the SoHo for the weekend. Just wondering how the river has been fishing lately. We are taking the canoe but will probably wade for the most part.

mstone
Old 03-28-2007, 09:45 PM

Default South Holston

Guys, let me bring you up to date on the South Holston River since I was up there guiding today. The situation could change at any time with rain, but the river is not in good shape right now. There is very little if any generation going on right now and the river was very low today. We had a frontal system coming through and that complicated things even more. There are very few insects hatching right at the moment and the ones that are hatching are very small. When I say small. I'm talking about size#30. There was a white bubbly foam on much of the river today and it complicated seeing your fly when you cast out any distance. The fishing was so bad today that everyone left from below the Weir Dam and downstream except one person. We stayed for a couple of hours and caught a few fish and they were all caught on extremely small flies. There were no Sulfurs hatching today. We moved to a lower spot on the river and it looked a little better and had more rising fish. To sum things up, we need rain and we need a few hours of generation each day. If you go later in the week, be prepared to fish with some very small flies.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:06 PM

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 10:46 AM..
Old 03-29-2007, 12:47 PM

Scott and I had the same results yesterday on the SoHo.Didn't see you guys Randy? You were hiding again!

Kyle
Old 03-29-2007, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. We do need some rain. Will be on the SoHo Friday, probably the lower section, and may try the Wautauga later in the weekend depending on our results. All you can do is try.

mstone
Old 03-29-2007, 08:57 PM

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 10:46 AM..