Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 04-01-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Temple Fork Pro 7'6" 3wt.

Got a new stick this week! Living Large, Loving Life.

The TFO ("Totally F***ing Orgasmic") Pro Series 3 wt. is GREAT, have not had this much fun practicing on the lawn since the cat pounced the clouser.

It's light, its beautifully appointed, it strokes like pasta al dentae. (and didn't take a second mortgage). It's a bit s l o w e r than I'm used to, but I think it and I will come to terms. Still 30' to 40' right outta the sock aint bad IMHO.
Anyone have an opinion or experience on Downlining it to speed it up a bit?

Thanks, in advance for the help
Old 04-02-2007, 01:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default TFO overlined

I wouldn't underline it -- I'd overline it!

I've been sitting here for the last hour trying to repair a RIO 6 wt pocket water line that I had been using on my TFO Professional Series 4 wt. I had had great success with overlining the TFO 4 wt with a 6 wt line. I could really feel the rod load on every cast. I've tried for about a month to use the TFO with a RIO 5 wt Pocket Water line and it's close, but no cigars...

I caught the 6 wt line in the rim of an SA reel and it pinched it just enough to snap it on a false cast. So I'm trying to put it back together and see if it "zings" like it used to on the 4 wt.

I've also got a Battenkill BBS II set up with a 3 wt. DT line and it really underperforms on the TFO 4 wt rod. I would definitely recommend against underlining the TFO Professional rod. It's not a super fast rod but it's got a lot of backbone and really wants to be overlined IMHO.

I'd suggest taking it to your local fly shop and trying it out with a few different setups... overlined by one weight... overlined by two weights... then underline it by a weight or two. I think you'll prefer the feel of the overlined setup.

Gerry
Old 04-04-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Overlining...

Thanks for the advice Gerry... I was thinking underlining would take the flex out of it. I'm not so much having a problem "feeling it" as feeling it too much.

Perhaps I used the wrong description. My 8 wt. pro is fairly "stiff", my 5 wt Orvis F Flyer is like a broomstick, the 3 wt TFO Pro by comparison is like a pipe cleaner. I don't DISLIKE it, my overly fast casting stroke does.

I know...I know...speed kills, power corrupts. I'm going to try the upline, thinking that the added load will be more similar to the load I experience with the stiffer rods. Besides it gives me an excuse to visit the toy store again.

Worst case scenario... perhaps it will teach me to cut back on the power stroke.

Sound good to you?
Thanks again!
See you on the creek
Old 04-21-2007, 05:46 PM

Talking I Overlined it!

Gerry, thanks to you...I overlined the TFO Pro 7'6 3wt with a 4wt DT, and fished it this past week!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you...I believe it is now my FAVORITE ROD!!! of course it helps having caught some fish with it rather than blades of grass in the yard.

It made the EXACT Difference that I was looking for but was unable to describe.

I Really appreciate it!
Old 04-21-2007, 10:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Sounds like you're up for the TFO Happy Dance!

Congrats. Glad we could help. And Good On Ya!!

Gerry